1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual (But Good!!) Data Lately

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 24, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Lately i have to wonder if the on board computer could possibly need some calibration. or maybe the bladder in my car is shrinking as the weather gets warmer...something is going on and i am puzzled.

here is the situation.

last 4 fillups

computer gas pump
    51.2 54.69
    57.0 59.19
    54.4 55.28
    55.2 59.31

i have never had a situation where one reading or the other was over more than 3 times in a row. usually they take turns being higher because of inconsistent fill levels. but its become so lopsided lately that now my pencil and paper mileage is higher than the computer mileage figures. anyone else see this? most here seem to be lower on the pump figures if the two dont match over the long run when computing mileage.

only thing i have done differently is i did get gas at a different station than my normal one (Arco on Gravelly Lake Blvd in Lakewood, WA) twice during this period. i realize that not trying to top off can result in a large swing between tanks because consistent fill volumes can conceivably have more variance, but i have been doing this nearly a year and have been pretty consistent so far. but if this keeps up, i will make the Gravelly Lake station my new default station since it seems to be more generous than mine

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My last two tanks (excluding the road trip) have been better by hand than on the MFD. On the current tank, I've gone the furthest distance on 10 bars than I've ever been and by a mile too. Usually, it'll drop to 9 bars at ~70-90kms. Now it just dropped at 195kms.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say that the MFD is reading 51.9 at 357 tank miles but the gas gage is only just turned one pip below half.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    another bar now and I'm at 240kms, so a short 2nd bar. We'll see how this one goes.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Without knowing the miles/gallons for each tank, I couldn't say, but my calculations are usually lower than MFD. used to average 2 MPG, but has gotten closer to 1 MPG lately.