1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual Fantasy Leagues

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Jan 29, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a quirky section at the back of ESPN the magazine offering ideas for fantasy leagues to participate in during the 'off season' of NFL and MLB....pretty funny stuff..

My favorite:

Fantasy Congress - Might be fund to start PC Liberal vs PC Conservative leagues!

One for Squid:

Fantasy Criminal

And one I just would never have believed:

Fantasy Curling...as in the sport

There are fantasy bull riding, dog show, greyhound racing, sumo, cricket, water skiing, movie studios, soaps and fashion sites too.

Amazing.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 29 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]382211[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

Unfortunatley, I abhor sports. Much rather participate in them than actually watch them. Well, except for maybe going to an actual game in a stadium somewhere, that's decently fun....

I've had saying for many years:

"The biggest sportsfans are the ones least able to play the actual sport..." - probably in reference to every red faced, chunky built, obnoxious frat-boy type sports fans.... You know, the kind who get naked, paint their faces, and mindlessly scream for hours on end until the beer runs out, or get arrested for raping livestock... man I hate sports....

3. Criminal

Criminal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi - Thanks for visiting the Fantasy Criminal League! I am the creator of the reality game for the fantasy sports world, and me and the other Wardens were wondering which specific issue of ESPN The Magazine made mention of our site. You can email me at [email protected] .

Thanks again and stop by the FCL and sign up to get a weekly update on the athletes breaking the law.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, must've been googling like crazy to dig up this obscure reference to your site.
    Based upon the date I posted this it must've been a January '07 or Dec. '06 issue...long since circular filed.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Squid and I actually agree on something?!? This is obviously some new user who registered under that name.

[​IMG]

6. Criminal

Criminal New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It really is the owner/operator and Head Warden of the FCL. The reason I came here and registered is the link originally put up here had some hits to my site in the last few days so I registered to try and find out which magazine ... oh and read up on the Prius :)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fantasy Quilting

Poking with pins and no one wins. You can also run with scissors. Of course, most quilters don't run very fast....waddle more like it.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What happens in a fantasy sports league? You pretend to play the sport??? Fantasy bowling: I just got all strikes and played a perfect game. Anyone care to top that? Seems like it would get very boring very quickly.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a combination of statistics and probability. A lot of science/engineering people love the fantasy sports because... well, who doesn't love analyzing data. :)

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You 'draft' the real players into a league and you win games based upon their individual performances.

My family, at the urging of one of my sport fanatic 8 year olds, set up a fantasy league for football this year. I did well as I drafted Tom Brady and Ladanian Tomlinson as well as a few other good picks. Each week you can adjust your line up depending upon how well you think each player will do against the opposing team. If your player is injured on the first play of the game you'll get no points. If Brady throws for 5 TDs and no intereceptions you're going to have a great score from him. Each position gets points or loses points for different things...running backs for yards gained and touchdowns scored for instance.

It was fun b/c it would get you interested in games that you might otherwise not have paid much attention to and maybe you'd pick up a player you weren't that familiar with if they were having a good season. You need some baseline interest in sports, of course, but it adds quite an element to the spectator as you start paying attention to more specific aspects of the game and each player so that you can set your team for the weak with the highest probability of getting a higher score than the person who's fantasy team you're matched up against each week.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the clarification. I can see how it would be interesting for a sports fan. I was a baseball fan until I was maybe in my early teens. Then I noticed girls, and I've not had any interest in sports since then. I was in Barcelona during a big game between England and Germany. All night long, after the game, the fans of the English team sat in the square shouting "Huh! Huh! Huh!" and in the morning the square was filthy with broken bottles, vomit, and a few items of torn clothing. I even saw a broken pair of eyeglasses.

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been a commisioner of a fantasy football league since 1992 and am completely addicted to it. Draft day in the fall is my favorite day of the year and that's not hyperbole. Researching team changes, targeting players, finding "diamonds in the rough", I love it.

I don't watch a lot of sports, but due to fantasy football, I watch the NFL whenever I can. Before 92, I never watched anything. No other sport fits the fantasy model so well as the once a week scheduling of the NFL.

Fantasy car sales anyone? draft models in each car category and score them on # of sales per month and gross income of sales, with negative points for recalls?

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definately not that fanatical with the fantasy league on my end, but the general sentiments I agree with. I'd like to join a slightly more serious league than competing just against one son who cares and a wife and other son who don't pay much attention.

The fantasy car league is a cute idea, wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to set up a program to do that though and I suspect it would lose interest pretty quickly...not a lot of drama there.

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car league was strictly sarcasm.
    To me it's not a fantasy league unless you have at least 8 players, 12 is optimal. I'd invite you to mine, but we only have openings every few years and you'd have to attend the draft in person.

Your son should be able to get you into a real league. My old man has owned a team in my league for a decade, though he never wins. Hard to win when you don't know how to turn on a computer.