1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual issue, 2002 from texas now in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Labythan, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Labythan

Labythan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just this saturday I purchased a 2002 prius with 95k miles on it from texas. It had no mechanical issues so far as I could tell. I took a trek with it from texas to minneapolis (adding 1,500 miles or so), and the car worked great (averaged 41 MPG). After I arrived sunday night, I drove about 10 miles one way and another 10 miles back at 6 am and 10 am resepctively. The car was in the driveway till about 5:30 pm. The weather outside is currently near 0 degrees F whereas it used to be about 72 degrees F in texas.

After driving about 2 miles at 5:30 pm, the check engine light came on, then the car started sputtering with fuel and slowly decelerated. It eventually refused to give any more fuel to the engine. After turning the car off and turning it on again, the engine started great, it idled, and then i could use the gas pedal for about 250 feet before the gas pedal refused to operate. Turning the car off and back on again let the car start great, idled fine, and then I got about 250 more feet out of it (until I got home a few blocks away).

So far as I can tell there are no problems with the main battery, the starter, any of the electronics, or other hybridish equipment. It appears to be completley a issue within the ICE. The largest clue is the sputtering engine before the gas pedal goes unresponsive. My best guesses are due to the car behaving great up until it got aclimated to the fridged weather of minnesota, the engine oil may be too thick. Is this an adaquate guess?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Labythan,

Welcome to PriusChat.

Before considering more complex matters, how much fuel did the gas, "guess,"
    gauge show was in the tank?

Also, what viscosity oil was in the ICE?

3. Labythan

Labythan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    3/4 tank full. I don't know what the viscosity is, but I theorize whatever viscosity the oil would be in Texas would be inappropriate for a car in Minnesota. I am trying to determine if this is a possible cause of the symptoms so I have more information. I initially thought fuel pump, but a call to the local Toyota service department later, I was told that Toyota fuel pumps have a reputation for never failing, and it is probably another issue.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Labythan,

A number of members have reported difficult starting, irregular running,
    and other ICE related difficulties that ultimately were traced to a dirty
    MAF sensor and/or throttle plate. (This can occur apparently after an
    oil over fill, operations in extremely dusty conditions, etc.)

There are a number of threads on this subject. Use the search window
    with to the upper right -- not the one in the blue bar at the top -- with
    the search term "maf+cleaner." Then click on the threads to see what was
    said.

To get the MAF sensor, you'll have to take off the air cleaner.
    You might as well check that ASAP just to rule it out as the problem.

Note: The MAF sensor must be treated very gentley/carefully to prevent
    damage. If you're at all uncertain about what/how to do it, you should
    go to a qualified tech.

5. Labythan

Labythan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks - I'll have a mechanic look at it.

Seriously, really appreciate the help :D

6. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have you considered that somebody may have put something other than "gasoline" inside the tank? Perhaps too much fuel injector cleaner. At idle it would likely run fine, put too much and instead of the fuel igniting, it just catches fire, and the car would slowly putter out. Try putting in some octane booster to see if it helps.

7. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also a possibility that you or somebody filled up with Diesel fuel instead? I almost did that once! Stupid green handle!!!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check your throttle plate to see if gunk has built up and it needs to be cleaned.

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_throttle.html

Everything you describe is consistent with sticky throttle plate.

Bob Wilson