1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual situation... battery or impatient driver?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kallen, Jun 8, 2017.

1. kallen

kallen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello! I am a newbie and really appreciate all of the kind people and Prius experts to share their valued knowledge on this website! My better half just purchased a 2009 Prius, with 95,000 miles, from Houston City's surplus fleet, at auction. According to their clerk, their mechanics are very proactive about maintaining their vehicles. Unfortunately, the car sat for close to three months prior to be auctioned, due to the bureaucracy of auctioning their surplus cars.

Fortunately, the car started with no problems and had no warning lights. The car ran without any issues for close to 900 miles. However, after making a 15 minute stop at Walmart, I noticed that the master warning light, hybrid battery light and brake light all went off simultaneously, after restarting it. This is after I had driven almost non-stop for the previous 900 miles! About 30 seconds later, the brake light went off.

Prior to this (about 15 minutes before), I noticed the car having difficulty accelerating over some of northern New Mexico's steep 9,000 foot peaks... no problems before these high peaks.

After restarting it and for the last 50 miles homes, the car drove perfectly (despite warning lights on).

Two days later (yesterday), I unplugged the battery and reset the waning light codes. Since then, I have driven the car 50 miles without any warning lights or problems. Maybe, I am just being optimistic, but do you think that there is the slim possibility that the hybrid battery just needed to be recharged... or I am I just a fool for posing this thought? Normally, I would take the car to the dealer, but I am located about 200 miles from the nearest dealer and I am hoping that some of you more experienced Prius drivers would be kind enough to share their insight with me (I won't hold you responsible for your opinions). My problem isn't so much with having to experience the difficulties of dealing with a broken down car, as much as it as with my elderly mother who is depending on me/the car for transportation. Thank You!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, get the 12v battery tested.

Purchasing your own diagnostic tools would be a good idea for a car this old. It will save you from paying others for diagnostic fee when a warning light comes on. Plus then you'll have information on what error codes have been set.

Simply clearing the error codes and wishing that it magically fixes itself is not a good long term plan.

Plus we can help you much much better if we don't have to guess.

Get an OBDII Bluetooth ELM327 reader from Amazon. Costs less than $30.
    Then get the Torque Pro app from the Google Play store. You can read and clear codes. Plus see and record live data.

3. kallen

kallen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Great input... I am grateful for your prompt reply! I will recommend "the boss" to purchase an OBDII Bluetooth ELM327, after this email. Otherwise, the auxiliary battery, 12 v battery and all of the the fluids (oil, inverter, main radiator... etc) are correct. However, the radiator's reservoir was empty, which makes me believe that there is a leak somewhere... do you think that this may have been enough to trip off all of those warning lights? Thank You!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to remove the plastic cowling over the radiator, and check the level inside the cap. (cold)

Data Daedalus and valde3 like this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has the warranty expired?

6. kallen

kallen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for your prompt replies! Inside the cap is good & the 8 month/100,000 mile battery warranty expired 2 months ago:(

davecook89t and Data Daedalus like this.
  7. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd be checking how old the 12v battery is, and probably replacing it first and foremost. The only genuine problem I ever had with my 2008 Prius Tspirit (UK Touring version) was warning ️ lights flashing up - which were ALL triggered by a dying 12v battery that had been in the vehicle since it was manufactured - it was 6 years old. I've heard of 12v batteries that even lasted 8 years in a Gen 2, but when they start to malfunction, funny things happen.

I suspect climbing a 9,000ft peak might have an effect on a borderline expiring battery - one related to both air pressure and even the prolonged tilt of the climb to the top of the peak and angle of incline on the way down.

Clutching at straws with the latter, but such parameters might affect an older 12v battery more than a new one.

I've been watching too much NCIS...

iPhone ?