1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual sounds on startup/shutdown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bograt, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bograt

bograt New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the past few months (since the weather has gotten colder), my 2006 Prius (with about 21,000 miles) has been making strange shrieking sounds when turning on and off. I've read some similar threads here pointing to the coolant transfer pump needing replacement, but I think mine is sounding a bit different to the "pump.wav" sound attached in other threads.

The file I've attached here is a recording I made with my phone after shutting down. Apologies for the sound quality, but hopefully you can hear the difference. Does this sound like the coolant transfer pump, or something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. This is my first post to priuschat, but I've been lurking here for a long time and find this a really helpful resource.

Attached Files:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like my old failing coolant pump, modulo recording conditions and the like. The correlation with cold weather is very consistent with that. It's a 60 month/60k mile warranty replacement item.