1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unusual Tire Wear?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by montenido, Nov 29, 2006.

1. montenido

montenido A 2 Prius household

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all. I just got my 2005 tideland with 8900 miles on it. My friend has an '04 or '05 that he has gone through three sets of tires on. I don't think he has over 40-50,000 miles total on it. Has anybody else experienced premature tire wear?

Thanks, and I love the forum.

montenido

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Searching the forums will turn up lots of discussion on this.
    Pump 'em up to 45 front and 42 rear, for starters, and then
    observe for a while. Does the car steer straight and stably,
    i.e. is alignment okay?
    See the scary pic near the end of
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/tpms/
    _H*

3. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Definitely get your own tyre pressure gauge.
    Just had my first service and was warned about wear on the inside of my front right tyre.
    Service guy said the pressure gauges you find at filling stations are usually off because they don't bother to re-calibrate them enough.
    So what you see on the gauge isn't necessarily what you've got in your tyre.
    The only way to check is to get your own gauge

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    But like hobbit said, premature tire death is primarily due to having too low of a tire pressure - go with the recommended pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 30 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]355591[/snapback]</div>
    The higher pressures might help gas mileage, but the Integrities are definitely less squirrelly in the rain with something more like 38/35. In either case, though, I'd not expect to see extreme tire wear as long as the pressure is at least what the factory recommends. I have 17K on the original Intergrities and I am sure I will get 30K ~ 40K no problem. If someone is going rapidly through sets of tires, I'd suspect a problem with alignment or it's a feature of their driving style.

6. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Be sure you are getting your tires rotated at the 5000 mile intervals. Otherwise you will wear the fronts very early.

My tires lasted 35,000 miles, but the outside edges were virtually bald. The middle and inside had about another 5 to 10 thousand miles left. That indicate either not enough camber in the alignment or too aggressive a driving style. ;)