1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Up! Up! Up!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kdmorse, Mar 9, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My driving since I got my new car (2006 #7) in late January has been of the absolute worst kind. Lots and Lots of 5 minute trips in cold weather (30F-40F) over lots of hills. As a result my lifetime avg is around 37MPG, and my current tank (300 miles into it) is sitting at 35.6MPG.

Now - I'm not at all unhappy. My Saturn in the same conditions was averaging 12-16MPG. It's nice to see that the absolute *worst* the Prius can do is about 35MPG. But it's also depressing - compared to what so many others are getting. Yes - I mean you - sitting in sunny, flat, southern California, getting 60MPG tanks!

But yesterday and today have been in the high 60's, and next week will be in the 70s. As a promising preview of summer - I've been getting 50MPG+ bars left and right. And after just two days, my tank mpg (remember, I''ve 300 miles on the tank already), has been pulled up from 35.0 to 35.6, and is on the rise. Gives me hope that as the weather improves - I'll at least be in the same ballpark as the rest of you, even if I can never truly catch up.

-Ken

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have read on this board that the 60 MPG #s are only at slower speeds like 39 MPH. In any event my 2006 is averaging a soild 51 MPG in BOTH city & highway. Yesterday I filled up & got 55.7. Not bad for a not so high end car.

3. routeonedog

routeonedog New Member

While I have been averaging about 45 MPG this winter I have just started to notice
    that there have been more bars in the 50 range this past week. The warmer should
    help with the mileage.

One on the bright spots about all of the stop and go traffic on my commute is that I have managed quite a few 100 bars while crawing at 12-25 MPH in some of the longer traffic light delays. And yes I am thinking about installing an EV switch to help.

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Damnit!

On Thursday, a inconsiderate coworker came into work when he was obviously too sick to do so. The sneezing, the coughing, you could just tell he was contagious and dripping with germs. Several of us tried to send him home, but he refused, and by then it was probably too late.

Friday afternoon I was starting to feel sick. Friday evening I had a 101.5 fever, and by Saturday I was up to 103. Such beautiful driving weather wasted, and I've been stuck in bed...

Bastard!

-Ken

5. jplotinus

jplotinus New Member

I'm in a similar climate, terrain as you describe. Got mine 2 weeks ago. Have put 300miles on it in that time period and am getting 50.2mpg. Mind you, I am taking pains to get that kind of mileage, it doesn't just happen. I try to take advantage of all opportunities to coast. Accelerating uphill is a definite 'no-no' and finding those speeds where the yellow bar sticks to 100mpg is the name of the game.

When it warms up, I expect to equal or exceed the 60mpg figure.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How would characterize your driving patterns? Ken suffers from short trips. That's worse than temp or terrain.

7. jplotinus

jplotinus New Member

my trips have been on the order of 20miles +/-, per trip. Speed ranges vary, but average 35mph whihc means it's ok to do 44, unless cops trying to make a quota. I'd say, then, that my trips so far (car only has 300 miles on it), have averaged about 1/2hr driving time.