1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upcoming hybrids

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bigbaldcuban, Apr 26, 2004.

1. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

and wait until you see the price! but toyota is not positioning the highlander and RX400 as hybrids for mileage oriented folks. it is saying they will give V8 performance with V6 economy

3. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

I guess I shouldn't be too amazed. my 97 Ford gets 16 mpg. 27.6 would probably be a nice change! :?

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

about the same for my 2002 buick rendezvous, which is a very appropriate direct comparison to the highlander

5. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

If Ford has done their homework, they could carve out a pretty nice niche with a small SUV getting 40 mpg

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i agree. i just don't want to be part of any american company's first efforts in a new area. can anybody say '1986 olds cutlass diesel'?

7. tag

tag Senior Member

.....And the misinformation has already begun. I spoke with one of the internet sales managers of a local dealership the week before last and he stated the Hybrid Highlander 'might cost a few thousand more than the regular version but, hey, you double your mpg!'.

8. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

yes, the misinformation HAS begun. toyota themselves is citing a 30% increase in mileage, not double. the 27.6 mpg figure is toyota's own official estimate. could it be that your sales manager friend was engaging in a little 'puffery' as it's known in the trade?

9. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

I might be inclined to look at the highlander for two reasons

1. Optional third row. I got two wee ones in car seats and anytime we go anywhere with anyone we either take both car seats out or we have to get two cars

2. As stated earlier (aaron12) I don't know if I want to be Ford's guinea pigs.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

the highlander is also significantly larger than the escape and a much nicer vehicle.

it's the PRICE i'm afraid of! anyway, looks like i will have a prius by mid-summer at the latest, so it will be a moot point (fingers crossed)

11. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Yeah, we still have about a year left to pay off Xterra and I'd like to have only 1 car payment for about a year or two. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready, the initial insanity might be over and I won't have to wait eons again for my car.

12. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

actually, my 2002 buick is only 2 years old, and normally i would get a new car at 3 years, so the year would be about right...

guess i just got 'prius fever'

13. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

My truck is 7 years and I need a commuter car. I looked at hybrids as an afterthough, then got bit with the bug. I know I could walk into any Toyota dealer and get an Echo or Corrolla that would do a great job, but after waiting this long, it's like an addiction. I can't give it up.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't call them Tag's friends :) He hasn't exactly been a happy camper throughout this whole process.