1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upcoming versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jnousis, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jnousis

jnousis New Member

Hello,

It's my first post here, although I have been browsing the website several months and read thousands of posts...... My name is John Nousis and I am from Greece.

I am a high-tech fan so the idea of having a Prius gets me very excited. More over the good climate of our country will help to achieve even more milage.

I consider to buy a Prius but I am not in a high rush to buy it. I can wait for some months and even a year if it's worth it. So my question is if there are any plans for the near future for a new version of Prius. Have anyone heard anything like that?

Best regards and thank you very much for all the information,
    John Nousis

2. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

It's unlikely that there will be any dramatic changes in the Prius till at least 2007. Probably later.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they said it runs on 4-5 yr cycles and the last change was in 2004. I would estimate 2008 or 2009 for the next major modification. Until then it will be minor changes here and there to fix bugs, change cosmetics, etc.

4. jnousis

jnousis New Member

Thank you very much for the replies. I think it's good time then to buy one. I will send you more details when I get it.

BTW, any owner from Greece?

5. craigcush

craigcush Member

Yasoo John

Welcome, I observed for a long time before posting as there is so much information here.
    From what I read here and other forums It seems just minor improvements if Toyota's history continues. Don't change a good thing.
    Where in Greece do you live?
    I lived in Ano Glyfada for three years and felt the Greeks used their sunny weather better than here. I refer to the solar water tanks on almost every roof and lately more solar electric panels.
    I remember the odd and even license plate restrictions on drivers due to pollution and congestion. I sold my car there because the buses were so convenient, and some of them were electric.
    Is there still a premium tax on imported cars? Do you think if the duty was waived on hybrids there would be more incentive to buy?
    Just curious as the rumors I get may be exaggerated.

efharisto

6. jnousis

jnousis New Member

Hi Craig,

Nice to hear that you were so impressed with our country. It's true that almost every house has a solar panel for water heating. And the sun is nice for other reasons as well (we are already swimming at the sea:):)).

Well, regarding the hybrid vehicles there is a tax reduction. Some taxes are waived (about 200 euros per year) and you are allowed to enter the center of the city regardless the plate number (so you don't need 2 cars to enter the city every day). I believe that those 2 incentives are very good considering also that if you travel a lot (I make about 3,500 km per month so buying a hybrid would save me about 2,000 euros per year with the price of $5/gallon which is normal here) the savings are fantastic.

That's why I consider buying a hybrid.

The import taxes are really high. People want to import BMWs (which are very popular) from Germany like crazy. It's worth it only for some specific cars, I think (not sure) mostly for 1.8L and less than 3 years old.

If you ever come in Greece again drop by for a coffee!

7. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why do you guys say there will only be small changes with the next version of the Prius? That did a pretty big change between the 2003 and 2004. (same gas engine, but different body style, stronger electric motor, more interior room, etc).

I would guess that there will be some bigger changes than just bug fixes. With the new battery technology it might be possible to install a battery with a larger capacity or faster charging times.

Also with the 'buzz' over plug-in hybrids maybe toyota will offer a 'Regular' Prius and a 'Plug in Prius'. If they beef up the electric motor so you can go a little faster in the city, and the battery gets better they could make the car a real hybrid. With a true Electric mode what would work in normal city driving (maybe up to 45mph?) and some solar panels the car could be even more efficient.

I guess I just hope they keep pushing the technology.

-Peter B

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they're referring to the mid-cycle update rather than the full blown redesign