1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update on earlier issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bendial80, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

Previous thread:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36708&st=0

Toyota offered me only 16,000 as a trade-in on a brand new less than 3 month old Prius. Bottom line is Toyota told me to live with it. I think what really kills me about this whole ordeal is the way Toyota treated me when I brought my legitimate concerns to them about the car. They basically treated me like a low-life "cold feet" buyer's remorse case...told me I'm tough out of luck and I made a bad decision I have to deal with and basically didn't care if I walked. The sales manager even started arguing with me and got very rude at one point.

I understand the dealership has to make money but god, I am a repeat Toyota customer at this exactly dealership and they kicked me around in the dirt. I will likely just sell the Prius private party and buy a Mazda 3, I really wanted a Matrix but after this experience I will likely never buy Toyota again. I know there is nothing they can do and Toyota really didn't do anything wrong but they could have at least treated me like a human being and asked to look at the issues to confirm they were legitimate (they never once offered to look at the brakes even after hearing about the issues I had with them). Thanks all for your help.

2. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ Jul 31 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]488380[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, I've read your original "complaint" and can't see where it is anything but buyer's remorse. If you had test driven a Prius before buying, you could have discovered how your body fit (or didn't fit) the seat and you certainly could have learned how the brakes behave. Try before you buy is good advice when purchasing any car.

3. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Deciding not to buy a Toyota due to an experience with the dealer is really only going to hurt you rather than them. If Toyota is what you want (the car, not the dealer of course) then find a dealer that is prepared to work with you and that treats you with respect. It's your money, not theirs, and you are doing them a favor by buying, not them a favor to you by selling. And call Toyota themselves and complain, not so much about the quite obviously poor offer they made but the dealer's attitude and behavior. As a repeat customer you're a valuable asset and shouldn't let them forget that fact!

As for the prior poster, I think it's a misapprehension to believe that a test drive will show some of the comfort issues being described here. In many instances comfort can only be really determined over a period of use, particularly in normal usage conditions. Modern cars are rarely designed with sufficient flexibility in mind to cope with body shapes and sizes much outside the average, so even if there is an element of buyer's remorse, it's also an easy excuse for refusing to accept the validity in the complaint.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 1 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]488669[/snapback]</div>
    Rent if there is any doubt.

Tom

5. DebAug

DebAug New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 1 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]488669[/snapback]</div>

6. DebAug

DebAug New Member

Sorry about the false-post, still getting used to the system. I agree, if a simple test drive would have shown me how uncomfortable and painful the seat and steering wheel would be for me, I never would have bought a Prius. I may also have to sell mine if the latest back cushion I've ordered doesn't help me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I can live with the killer seat, but the almost carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms I have developed from the seat/steering wheel combination could not have been anticipated. I have almost 9K on my Prius now, so I'm sure the dealer will offer me lots less than what they offered BenDial. I too will have to go private sale, if it comes to that.

One thing you might try is calling calling the Toyota customer center directly out in MN or wherever they are and see what they have to say. Although, when I called them about the seat/steering wheel, and gear-jumping issues I was having, they said they hadn't received such complaints before, yeah right. Heck, all they have to do is read some of the various complaints on this forum to figure out how to make this a much better car.

I too miss my Corolla. I had it for 13 years and I cried when I gave it up. I hate to say this, but the only thing I may be crying about if I give up the Prius will be the money I've lost!

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would resort to some heroic seating modifications before I would dump the Prius. It is such a great car. Someone ought to be able to move the seat back or even replace it entirely.

True, their can be some traction anomolies with the traction control, but if they nearly drove you into someones bumper, you must have been following too close.

8. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Even if buyer remorse there are things the dealer and toyota could do..

Offer/find the new car he wants and sell it to him at cost, and
    sell the prius on consignment, keeping like $500 off sale price whatever it ends up being.

The idea that they made margin on the first car, offered standard trade in on the trade in, and probably not a good deal on the matrix seems like they are trying to make money off of him three ways instead of just two.

9. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 1 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]488669[/snapback]</div>
    Andy that was a great post, thank you. To the poster that originally replied to my post, I did indeed test drive the Prius...twice in fact. At the time it was very comfortable to me. The discomfort happens after about 20 minutes of driving, my legs are actually falling asleep and I'm having knee pain everytime I lift my leg high off the ground to press/release the ebrake.

10. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 1 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]488811[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. I fully agree.

There's simply no excuse for not trying before you buy. I test drove a Prius twice before I bought one. And I tested 'everything' because it was a floor model I didn't care it if broke. The best is when you tell the sales rep to 'hold on tight while I try this.'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 1 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]488811[/snapback]</div>
    being said from an Oregon driver, _really_ _really_ means a lot! Sorry, Oregon drivers are the biggest tailgater's - I'm not saying you are...

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ Jul 31 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]488380[/snapback]</div>
    Who is stopping you?

12. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry it didn't work out -- I would echo previous statements about renting first. Many car dealerships now have rental departments... you might not get the exact trim level you're interested in but you should be able to take a version of the car out for a few days. Time it with a day trip or something and you get some nice experience, plus you can poke and prod without a sales person hovering and commenting.

13. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Aug 1 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]488840[/snapback]</div>
    If this were the case, the cases of buyers remorse would skyrocket. Everyone who wanted a better deal would claim they had buyers remorse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 1 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]488903[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I consider myself a Washington driver, but now that you mention it, in a typical week, more than 1/2 my driving IS in Oregon, so I guess the shoe fits. Sometimes, I must admit I follow a little closer than I really feel good about, becuase when I don't, car after car after car gets in front of me, and I practically have to shift into reverse. But I don't follow near as close as people follow behind me. Often, you cannot see theire bumper or headlights. Just the top ot their hood.

But I concentrate on the driving, I never text, dial phones, shave, watch DVDs or anything. crazy like that.