1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update on Head gasket repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priusbydefault, Jun 18, 2024 at 7:08 PM.

1. priusbydefault

priusbydefault New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted on another thread about my HG repair among other repairs and I said I would post an update.

I completed the job using the fel-pro head gasket including lapping the valves, cleaning egr valve, cooler and pipes, installed new spark plugs and coil packs and also installed an oil catch can on the PCV valve side (I'm thinking of installing a catch can on the valve cover side also but I'm not sure if it is needed). I also did a piston soak as the engine had started to consume oil at a rate of 1 qt. per 1k miles. It was evident that oil was being consumed on the #1 piston as that spark plug was oil fouled(that is also where the HG had failed)

The engine started right up with no codes and runs smoother and stronger than before. Ive put over 1k miles on it and it has not consumed any oil.

I noticed that the car was running longer on the ICE than on battery and was getting lower MPG's. A battery life expectancy test determined it's at 59.39% with a #7 weak block.

Next project is to replace failing battery pack modules to lengthen life as much as I can.

It's just one repair after another with this car and I regret having purchased it and should have stuck with Honda civics as my work commute cars. I feel taken by jumping on the hybrid, gas saving bandwagon. Any fuel savings have been negated even though I have done all the repairs myself. If I would have had toyota complete this repair including the failed ABS/Booster module, I would have spent about 10k by now not including the failing battery. I have no choice at this point to continue repairing it as I have too much invested into it and refuse taking even more of a loss.

I also have a 2012 Prius plug-in that will benefit me all I have learned when I have to start repairing that one. Which has already had a HG replacement by the previous owner BTW. Lets just hope the work was done properly. It has similar miles on it.

I just want to thank you all for your continued contribution to this forum by sharing all your knowledge and experiences. I would not have taken on such huge repairs without all that help.

Sorry for not taking better pictures. I was overwhelmed at the time and I did not think about it. 20240531_220110.jpg 20240604_201553.jpg 20240531_220140.jpg 20240531_220119.jpg

StarCaller and bisco like this.
  2. priusbydefault

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention that I also cleaned the throttle body, intake manifold and MAF sensor

3. priusbydefault

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Here she is all put back together with the oil catch can installed. 20240618_162110.jpg 20240618_162134.jpg

StarCaller likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! thanks for the write up, please keep us posted. i traded my '12 plug in at 87k because of knocking and shaking.

priusbydefault likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes the old Honda Civic would be a better car You're right or '04 to '09 generation 2 I have a 94 civic 1400. Great running car but not quite as reliable as the Prius unfortunately but still a great car and got near a million miles on it it's been through you know what and back and still fires right up Just put a fuel pump on it the other day My kid drives it as a beater.

priusbydefault likes this.
  6. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what did you use for the piston soak?

7. priusbydefault

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had 2 8th gen civics. My first had 220k miles when I sold it. Got it with 80k. I only replaced the starter when I got rid of it. The second had 26k mi when I bought it. Only replaced the fuel pump for less than $50 and wrecked it at 345k mi. Now my daughter has one and I do the maintenance on it. All she does is gas it. No problems for 2 yrs.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  8. priusbydefault

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Berrymans B-12 and soaked it 5 times until all solvent had either drained down or evaporated during the course of about a week and a half that it was down for repairs. I also used about half a bottle of seafoam I had left over. Turned the crank by hand several times in between soaks. The last 2 soaks were done while the head was removed. Just leveled pistons and filled the cylinders. I noticed a shiny spot in cylinder #1 and sanded as lightly and evenly as I could with 600 grit sandpaper until shiny spot was gone to replicate a honing. I can't be any happier with the results.

douglasjre likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Holy smokes: valves disassembled too! Not your first rodeo?

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jun 19, 2024 at 12:32 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    douglasjre likes this.
  10. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cool, I'm probably going to do a Berrymans soak soon. I'm nervous about it mainly since people seem to have trouble starting their engines afterwards and I'm wondering how being a hybrid will play out in that regard. I definitely wish I'd thought to do it when I had my head off recently. Did you have any issues starting? Did you lube the cylinders after the soak at all?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The berrymans just super cleans everything I'm not sure what it's doing for the oil control rings and cleaning that mess up but hey it's better than running water down there which will clean nothing. Least to berryman's has a chance to cut up some of that dried oil that gets coagulated around those oil return rings or oil control rings. It'll do what it can to get around the compression rings a little bit and try and undo some of the gum and nonsense the holes those stuck to the Pistons that's about it ideally in the old days and older Toyota motors if I had the head off it was another 45 minutes to take the oil pan off remove the rod caps push the pistons out of the top of the block clean the Pistons right in the driveway with real safety clean cleaner with gloves because that's stuff would eat your hands up It was real cleaning as it is not today pop new rings on three piece oil control rings clamp the pistons and the ring compressor pop them back in the lightly honed and wiped boards dry no pouring a bunch of lubrication in the hole and all this and that putting them up wet and sloppy You put them up dry the ring seat the first five travels they make up and down the bore and you're ready to go revving in 30 minutes not 400 mi of break in but that's just me. Your piston soap will be pretty much uneventful If you do this correctly and let it sit overnight with the drain plug off most all of your liquid will run past your slugs and rings fall into the pan run out into the drain pan you have sitting under the drain hole so most of what you poured in if you were watching will wind up down in your little tray then it sits all night and most of that stuff out gases and well pretty much dries. Then when you install your plugs and coils and what have you everything should be ready to start when it starts give it a little gas let it smoke and do its thing that should clear run that oil to 2000 miles and then change it and that's what you wind up with.

12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes that is a come to Jesus realization on a high mile gen3. Almost all other hybrids before and after are better but with a gen3, buying new and selling around 150k was the value strategy. I only had inverter failure with a no warning stranding by that point.

It is interesting Toyota initially covered pistons, rings, inverters and brake boosters for free. They revised the intake, head gasket, egr valve and ecm logic along the way. Only the free inverter still exists for most gen3s.

Amazing what can be done when faced with little alternative. The more recent hybrids like my 22 Rav4 have a return to sump “catch can” built in with a no hose pcv installed between the head and intake directly through the intake gasket. One of many improves since 2016’s gen4 design.

Rav4 hybrid with 2.5L “gen5” engine
    IMG_5162.jpeg IMG_5163.jpeg

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the first 60k miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first. I doubt anyone achieved the 1 quart consumption in 1100~1300 miles (Toyotas criteria for doing the repair), within that mileage.

I’d like to be a fly on the wall, at the meeting where they settled on 60k; likely lots of chuckles.

Attached Files:

#13 Mendel Leisk, Jun 19, 2024 at 11:51 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024 at 11:56 AM
  14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Based on dealer mechanics I know a lot of gen3 piston and ring jobs were performed under 60k and some until 125k for those who bought Toyota’s Platinum extended warranty prior to the 3/36 expiration.

5 year 60k was the standard powertrain warranty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.