1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update on "Stalling on the Chicago Skyway"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bojojohn, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I got a nudge from Dwayne about the codes from the Prius Tech after my car stalled on the Chicago Skyway, and realized that I hadn't updated anyone after I drove to Chicago with rental car on Friday the 13th to pick up my baby.

When I asked for the codes, they said that since it was under warranty, they couldn't release them. !!?!?! Have you ever heard of that?! I said that I would have liked to see all the errors that were generated. They said that they understood but that they couldn't release them. And then they said that my car was a real learning experience for them. Um, that doesn't inspire confidence.

Needless to say, I got a 45,000 mile notice from my dealer and will take it in to have it looked over to make sure there is nothing amiss.

It runs exactly the way it ran before. The invoice said "inverter", so there ya go.

Wish I had more details to share. I'm glad I have my car back and that everything seems to work fine.

Oh, and most importantly, my mom is ok--she's in an assisted living facility now and doing much better. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Best,
    Victorria

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks greatly for the feedback, mom and car. Was hoping for some feedback since sooner or later someone else will have the same experience.

As for DTC's being company secrets while a warranty item, yes I have seen it. Occasionally the dealers forget to not record them on the trouble reports, especially if they do not know if it is a warranty issue initially. Maybe someone out there knows why this is a common (but not universal) dealer practice. There is something fishy about this I expect. The more technical of us know that the DTC's can be read before taking to the dealer. Plan to do that in the future.

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With my dealer they generally let me watch when they pull the DTC codes and if they have to run any diags, they give me printouts of all the diag output. When I had to have the HV Battery replaced, we walked through all the codes, and the calls to Corporate, and went over the info they had to send to Corporate to get the battery replacement authorized.

I'm guessing that it's a dealer decision, because on the scale of "Big Stuff" an Inverter and a HV Battery are on the same level from my view, so I don't think there's any Toyota policy on it.

But, maybe Galaxee or someone in the know can weigh in, and maybe I'm just lucky to have a good relationship with the dealer :)

At a minimum, I'd demand that the invoice show the parts numbers and work codes. I don't think they can claim that is privilidged info.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes....

oh, and he's calling bull$#!t

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 24 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]484347[/snapback]</div>
    Ah Ha. Hard info--Not a Toyota Japan or Toyota USA thing.

6. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well, here's a question. It appears as if this inverter problem has been occuring in a lot of 2004 Prii. Don't you think by now that Toyota should have issued a recall or service for it by now?

Victorria

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is one

Attached Files: