1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update On The 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gofast, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got back from Burt Toyota in Denver Colorado and it is not here say. The Nextgen III is not coming out until the 2010 and will go on sale next year about in June. I had a deposit on a 2009 because all the Internet articles where saying its was coming out this year. The 2009 will be the same. He let me read out of one of his three ring note books he just bought back and from a dealers rep meeting and the 2010 will have the 1.8 with the same battery as before with a small increase in fuel mileage, I was so bummed that I for got to ask him what it will look like. Moved my deposit to a 2010 which I guess is not bad when you think of you can get it in about 11 months.:(

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This was an unfortunate reminder that you need to be take what you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. I was reading the same things - that the 2009 model would be gen III and would have Li-ion batteries - and was waiting for it assuming it would come out this fall. Even yesterday's article on Forbes.com has the misinformation that gen III is coming out later this year. :mad:

Fortunately I read some more and saw some definitive info that it would not come out until 2010MY, and would probably NOT include Li-ion batteries and/or plug-in option right away - that will probably be delayed until 2011MY at the earliest.

Since it was really the Li-ion technology that I was interested in, and that seems to be at least 2 years away, I pulled the trigger and got a 2008 Prius (I ultimately ended up getting two :D ). Fortunately I placed my order in April, before the prices skyrocketed, so I got about $1200 off of MSRP. But if I had accurate information earlier I would have bought in Feb. or March, and probably gotten an additional $1000 or so off of MSRP.

Good luck waiting for your 2010MY. I am sure it will have some nice enhancements and a peppier powertrain. But my minivan has 195,000 mi and was not going to last that long.

3. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This book could have been from the meeting on "how to discourage a Prius customer from waiting, and selling them a Camry/Matrix/Yaris today".
    I don't think we've heard the final word on the 2010's just yet.:fish2:

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Forever an optimist.

I've "known" the 2010 would be the new model for at least six months. But I'm a pessimist. ;)

Do note that the "plug-in" dual battery pack Prius will be out this fall. For fleet buyers "only", though you may be able to get one from C. Rickeyhorse on this forum (dealers section), if you really want one (the Priuschat fleet?).

I'm surprised he told you so much about the 2010. They are supposedly sworn to secrecy. "Loose lips sink ships!" :)

The mileage improvement -may- be because the engine can be tuned for even more efficiency (variable valve timing on intake and exhaust), and/or the increased size allows for operation with some torque at even lower RPM (less frictional losses).

5. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So are they talking fleet like buying with the COSTCO fleet program? That would be terrific, my hubby is always saying how he really wants a plug-in hybrid.

6. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    if I can get a plug in I want one as soon as I can get it

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the Toyota fleet program requires registration and qualification to purchase well below dealer cost and without advertising (about another $900 discount). I've posted here many times how to go about it, or check their .com site for the details.

Costco and other outlets advertising fleet and/or Internet deals are a marketing gimmick and can sometimes be beaten through negotiation if it's worth your time and aggravation to jump through the hoops.

8. Derek

Derek New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What Toyota dealership did you go to in the Denver metro area? I have been patiently waiting until January before I start making any decisions.

9. gofast

gofast Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Burt toyota, and if you wait to put a depost down until January you could be 100 on the list. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE PAGES FOR A 09