1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update on "will not start" post Jan 21, o7

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rkoska, Jan 21, 2007.

1. rkoska

rkoska New Member

I have a 2005 Prius 4door That will not start.

When I press the power button With break pedal down i get no instrument lights and will not start.
    The power button flashes several times with an amber light and I hear a click from under the hood.

I have checked all fuses under hood, under dash and the 5 amp and 120 amp on the engine battery
    I have checked the engine battery and is fully charged putting out 12.68 dc volts
    I have replaced smart key battery I have disconnected engine battery ground and reconnected and checked all connections clean and tight. I have tried shutting off smart key and placing key in slot
    I can lock and unlock car and turn on headlights and flashers, nothing else works.
    The car has a window down and the front wheels are locked in park. I can not roll the car out of the garage as i can't turn on ignition, so i can't have it towed. On top of that, it's raining!

Can any one think of some thing I have not tried?

Dick

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yikes! You've done everything I could think of, and then some.

I think the roadside assistance is for 3 yrs. 36k mi., you might try calling them.

3. rkoska

rkoska New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 21 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]378703[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the reply, but as i mentioned in my post i have to get it out of the garage before i can have it towed to a dealer.
    Dick

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dick K @ Jan 21 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]378741[/snapback]</div>
    Then you're probably going to have to jack up the front wheels and put them on a dolly. Or at least something that slides easily over the garage floor.

Dave M.

5. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

I had a very similar problem recently. Turned out I had accidently turned off the SKS when trying to open the hood. Having never actually put the fob-thing into the slot - I was at a complete loss. Checked the voltage as well (12.72v.) Tried the spare key. Finally thought to put the fob in the slot - success! Then though of the SKS disable button under the steering wheel. I'm sure there was some indicator somewhere that was telling me what the problem was, but I'd have to have read the manual to know what it is. Good luck.

Edit: oops, didn't see that you already tried the SKS disable button.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dick K @ Jan 21 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]378687[/snapback]</div>

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dick K @ Jan 21 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]378741[/snapback]</div>
    The tow truck should have a wheel dolly, and a jack.

8. rkoska

rkoska New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 21 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]378793[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 21 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]378793[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, Scott.
    I tried your suggestions, but no response from the car.

Dick

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This lines catches me off-guard.

Oh sure, I could maybe see locking and unlocking the doors, but before you can turn the lights on, the car needs to be at least ACC ON. Doesn't it? If it were warm and not snowing, I'd go try.

10. rkoska

rkoska New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 22 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]378855[/snapback]</div>

Tony
    When you are in the car you can turn on the headlights with out haveing the acc on and when you open the door the lights will go off.
    Dick

11. rkoska

rkoska New Member

After 10 days in a Toyota garage, and almost $1000.00 in towing fees,dealer repair time and car rental cost, we have our Prius back.

This is the explanation that I received from the dealer:
    Before I criticize the amount of time and money on this simple problem I am going to contact Toyota Customer Service to see if this is normal for this type of repair. I will also ask Toyota if it is true what I have been told by two dealers that there is no way to get the Toyota Prius out of park without ignition. If this is true, I would find that to be a very serious safety hazard. The dealer informed me that when the tow truck delivered the car that they had to put the front wheels on dollies and push it into the dealership. We were very fortunate that this happened to us as we shut the car off at home and it would not restart. If this had happened at a stop sign or on a busy freeway, there would be no other alternative than to have an emergency vehicle push it off to the side of the road (I'd hate to see the bill for that one!). We have a 2005 Toyota Prius. If anyone knows if they have corrected this problem on later models (some manual way to place the car in neutral to unlock the front wheels when you have a battery failure or ignition failure), please let us know with a post.

Dick

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the update, Dick.

I'll let someone else address the "out of park without ignition" issue.