1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update: Webasto says NO to sunroof for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Madeleine, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Student of Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Because several of us have been told by various installers that there were "issues" will a Prius Webasto sunroof install, I emailed the company to ask. First, an email came back that just said, NO, we don't have a product for the Prius. Then I clarified that many people have indeed put them in and they seem to work fine. I asked if the warranty would apply for a Prius install. Here is the second reply: (they used all caps in their reply to make a point...)

"If some one puts a sunroof in a car it will not void the warranty of the sunroof, if the install damages the sunroof then the sunroof will not have a warranty. However Webasto WILL NOT RECMMONED THE PRIUS at this time, DUE TO THE SHAPE OF THE CAR. Webasto Always checks to see fit, Safety, and looks before application is given."

They also said they had no plans to make one they felt would be applicable for a Prius. The toyota dealership I ordered my car through said their installer company refused to put one in for safety reasons. ???

Some posters said that installers mention that the install would require cutting through stability supports for the roof and it could easily cave in with slight pressure, but I thought the sunroof would fit between such supports, leaving the structure for roof support in place. ??? It is interesting that the manufacturer says don't do it. Anyone?

2. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So far Webasto has told me only that "any warranty issues you may have would be handled through the installer who would then contact us." I see that they have told you that the warranty is NOT voided (with an authorized installer).

3. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much did the sunroof + install cost you? If you don't mind me asking.. I've been looking at it.