1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

update

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Jun 14, 2024.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Where am I? Let's see. One of my cars is throwing a pesky P0171 when it comes to an idle. Drives fine otherwise, just the idle sounds like it doesn't get enough gas. I sprayed the MAF sensor and cleaned up the throttle body. I'm guessing ox sensor. This car has an aftermarket cat and hack, although the hack in this case is simply a move of the OEM vacuum canister up under the hood. This is the car I replaced the gas tank on and rusted fuel filler neck, and I'm hoping this isn't another problem with the fuel pump. I'm guessing that if it were an injector, plug or coil that I'd get a specific or random misfire code as well.

One of my others gave me P3006 and P3030 codes. IIRC, that can indicate just a leak, like the original corrosion leakage or sensor wiring. I have several good batteries, so I'll just swap one in, and pull that one out to check. Of course, I have two others with the covers off on my kitchen counter for the last year that I intended to swap modules around in to make one good battery. I don't think any of them are good now.

I bought another car. More miles than I like - 150k - but it was close by and cheap, and very nice. First owner kept until 2021, the second owner put 10k miles on it since then. Seat covers over clean seats. Big rubber floor mats over original floor mats. Garaged paint. One of those. Typical cracked window, wrecked passenger doors, a flat tire, seem to be the problems. Maybe the middle pillar has to be pulled out or replaced. Drove to storage from the auction 5 miles.

I've identified a parts car with everything I need. Wrecked beyond repair, but good passenger side, cat and battery. Should be able to pull all that off, and any other parts I want, then sell the carcass and cat to get my money back, as I've done several times before. Replace the doors/pillar on my cherry car and get a local back-alley body shop to paint and it's a beautiful car.

It's not all blue sky and mountain scenery though. I'd never dealt with this auction and had to use a broker, who screwed me. I'll have more money in this car than I should. I might make it my daily driver - it's already got more miles than my other cars - to get my ROI that way. Or just sell it and make less off it. I already have a nice green car for my "collection."

I'm working on my diesels this week. Need to use it to pick up that parts car. That car runs and drives, but has a broken window so it'd be a hot trip. Rather tow it.