1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Updated: Silverstars blew... again (Replaced with Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs. See Pg 2)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, so I've gone through two sets of Silverstars and they both blew out before 12 months were up.

So needless to say, I'm not going to get another pair because their lifespan is pathetically short.

Keep in mind that mine's a Canadian vehicle so I do have the bulbs running as DRLs.

So, with that in mind, what other bulbs do you suggest I try? I do like the whiteness and the slightly brighter lights of the Silverstars but not their lifespan. Judging by sushi's thread, the HID conversion takes a bit of work and seems costly (although if I had the time and money, that would probably be the route I take and solve my problems with the stock lights).

Are there any other aftermarket bulbs that you guys have tried and are worth the cost?

Thanks!

2. cheule

cheule New Member

I take it 12 months is the lifetime you get with this type? I mean, this isn't abnormal for Sylvania Silverstars 9003STs?

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When my OEM lamps burned out between 20,000 and 25,000 miles I replaced them with standard 9003's and they are still burning at 57,000. I considered the Silver Stars but am glad I didn't get them after hearing of your experience. We don't have DRL but I leave mine on and use auto off so the usage is similar.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sean Blumenthal @ Sep 23 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]516475[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah supposedly it's abnormal but after two sets, I'm basically sold that they'll last under 12 months under my conditions (DRLs + longer winter nights). I mean if you live in the southern states, they'll probably last for years.

I gotta get replacements quick. The right side is the one that blew and the left one will not be far behind. I don't intend on driving around with foglights. I mean, they work in the daytime (treat them as DRLs so I don't get pulled over) but I don't think they're sufficient at all for night time driving.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sylvania's website does mention the shorter service life of the Silverstars.

6. benighted

benighted New Member

I'd stick with the OEM's or extended life bulbs then re-aim the foglights higher so they put light the same level as your headlights.

Mine has the HID's but I use the stock foglights with them sometimes for better color rendition (despite what some might say there are benefits to having yellowish lights at night IMHO). With the fogs adjusted properly I can turn off my HID's and leave the fogs on (resistor mod), they put out light almost as well as standard lowbeams.

To adjust the fogs just stick a phillips screwdriver through the hole in the bottom and turn the plastic wheel until they are where you need them.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Sep 23 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]516631[/snapback]</div>
    I don't tihnk 1 year was what they had in mind, esp. not if they're charging $70/pair.

8. cheule

cheule New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 23 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]516661[/snapback]</div>

Yeah 1 year seems awfully short. So I take it you aren't satisfied with OEMs? Not bright enough? or is it the color temperature?

Not trying to get you off topic from finding better replacements, just curious why not stick with the OEMs... they'd probably last 5 years or so.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both.. colour and intensity. My main concern is illumination (without blinding other drivers of course), how it looks comes second. Most American Priuses were sold with HIDs and I've seen those (whenever you guys decide to drive up here) and they're fantastic. No glare whatsoever (even when I saw them head on), and nice and bright.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't need to change my bulbs yet but when I researched for the bulbs for my previous car, OSRAM Silverstars are the best with long life. They are not the same as Sylvania Silverstars. Which Silverstars did you use?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sylvania... they're from Canadian Tire

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ended up with these

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=43

and they've arrived < 2 weeks. Impressive!

They're quite bright and are a bit hot (but not as hot as the foglights). I can definitely feel the heat on the headlight covers though. The colour of the light is closer to the stock than the white of the Silverstars but with the foglights on, there's still a colour difference.

I'm pretty satisfied. They actually light a wet road in the dark on a road without lampposts. With the Silverstars, I get NO light in those conditions and it's kinda scary.

13. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At least those are working for you. I have been tempted lately to just throw some HID's into the stock housings. Still debating as I'm just asking the cops to pull me over already as it is.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How long are the Philips X-Treme Power H4 suppose to last? Are they US DOT street legal?

Edit: Yes, they are US DOT legal. How much did you pay for it? I found a pair for $40 plus $10 shipping on ebay. Prius uses H4 right?
    Edit2: From the link you provided, powerbulbs.com has 10% off coupon "ZXRCX111" code. It is great that they have free worldwide shipping. They even throw in a free Philips Blue Vision W5W. SOLD for me. :)

I am thinking about changing this as my next mod. Any easy guide to replace the headlamp?

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 5 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]521751[/snapback]</div>
    I've changed the headlights once a year so I'm already getting pretty efficient at it (even though I've complained about how much of a PITA it is to change the bulbs).

Umm.. I guess I could whip one up. Gimme a few days. Today is sunny but the weekend is gonna pour so I'm not gonna take photos then.

Err.. DIY the owner's manual is pretty good but I'll see if I can make one for you if you want it.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I looked through the 06 user manual and did not find it. Let me look through again....

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pics earlier today. Just note that the headlight covers are really dirty. Today's the first sunny day in a week. Night time pics to follow. They're really bright at night.

The shots are south facing shots at 3pm.

Normal height
    [attachmentid=11862]

Bumper height
    [attachmentid=11863]

1 car length away
    [attachmentid=11864]

2 car lengths away
    [attachmentid=11865]

DIY:

1. Remove all 6 clips holding down the front cover. The "screw" needs to be elevated relative to the ring in order to make removal easier

2. Remove cover and set aside.

3. Focus your attention to the passenger side of the car. You will see the vent that leads to the engine air filter box

4. Locate the flathead button and use a flat blade screwdriver to lift it up. Once the button is up, you may remove the vent. It's up to you whether to leave the button pin there or not but just don't lose it!

5. Start with the passenger side cause that's the easiest. Unplug the socket from the base of the bulb and set it somewhere where you can retrieve it later.

6. Locate the rubber seal. Rotate it anti-clockwise. A few degrees is enough and it should come loose. Once loose, wiggle it to remove.

7. Locate a spring lever/catch. This lever holds the bulb in place. On the passenger side, if you were to look at the headlight straight on from the outside, it would be ~ "NW" or the top left side. Important! When you locate the lever, MAKE A MENTAL NOTE OF HOW IT IS REMOVED AND REPLACED. It'll make it easier when you reverse the steps as you cannot really see the back of the headlights.

8. For the passenger side, push the lever towards you and up. Once loose, swing it away. You might have to move it around a black wire (not sure what that wire is). Note the bulb will be loose at this point. At this point, you may attempt to put the lever back to get a feel of how far to push the lever towards you before you push down and let the lever catch. There is quite a bit of resistance.

9. Once you're done, carefully remove the bulb. You may have to move it around wires and the lever.

10. Replace the bulb with your new one. Again be careful when manoeuvring the bulb around the wires and the lever.

11. Once the bulb is in the headlight housing, look from the outside and make sure it's set properly and firmly.

12. Carefully replace the lever and make sure the bulb doesn't move out of place in the process.

13. When the lever's back in place, find the bulb base and move it to confirm that the bulb doesn't move. Plug the socket back into the bulb and test that the bulb works.

14. If everything's fine, then proceed to replace the rubber seal. This is the hard part and will probably take the longest time

15. The rubber seal has to sit just right so that when you rotate it clockwise, it'll lock, otherwise, it'll just rotate and nothing will happen. The best way I've found is to grab hold of the seal around the edges with your hand. This way, when you put the seal back, you can get a feel of where the outer edges of the headlight housing is and where to seat the seal. Once you think it's in, rotate it and see if it locks. THere is no click or anything so as long as it doesn't move on its own AND you can access the base of the bulb with the socket, you're fine

16. Replace the socket

17. Do the same for the driver's side. This one is a bit harder because access is tight. You can remove the fuse box cover if you wish. The top part of the cover comes off easily. The bottom part with a single clip needs a bit of force.

Attached Files:

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the instruction. I'll give it a try when I get my bulbs. How long did it take for you to get it?