1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

**UPDATED** So, I put a deposit down on a touring and we're going on Sunday

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GoEco, Apr 21, 2007.

1. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not so much on the negotiation factor, but on the test drive.

It's a Touring Package 6. Is this worth it over the regular package 6? The last salesperson said there was a spoiler on the touring (& I'm a sucker for anything that will make this different than the other 100 prii I see) but I can't seem to find evidence of that. Are the wheels significantly better for the handling? Salespeople seem to be saying finding a touring edition is hard to do, though I've found two exactly like I want and more in other colors in the last week so are they just feeding us lines?

Anything else?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of information! This website is great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    So over a month and 4 dealership visits later, it's on it's way home!! Thanks everyone for your help. The only thing that kept dragging on was our trade-in and we finally figured out today the original offer was the best. My BARCELONA RED Package #6 is heading home with my husband and son as we speak! After yet another misleading visit earlier today by the time they got there it was too late for myself & our baby to come along, as well as too late for service to do the prep work so we are headed back tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Thanks again everyone...I'm sure now I'll never be able to shut up on this board, now.

Now, off to start my prius shopping list:
    dark rear tinting
    BT Plate
    Hood for the Screen
    2 Mini Prii for the kidlets

what else? :rolleyes:

Oops: Edited to add I forgot the all important price information...INVOICE! We got it for Invoice. If anyone in SoCal needs a dealer/salesteam be sure to contact me b/c I've got one for you. B)

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Apr 20 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]427216[/snapback]</div>
    The spoiler they are talking about is the bar between the two back windows. On the Touring model, it is a little larger, but I don't think it is all that apparent without comparing them side by side. If I had it to do over again, I think I might go for the Touring, but I am pretty happy with cloth seats, and They don't have Touring Package 5 in my area.

3. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, I'll check it out when I'm there in the prii groves.

The leather vs. cloth thing is a huge struggle for me (leftie tree-hugger animal-lover and all). I actually DIDN'T buy a highlander hybrid last year b/c I couldn't get NAV w/out leather. It's almost funny to me now a gazillion dollars in gasoline later. Almost. :rolleyes:

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Apr 21 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]427218[/snapback]</div>
    I thought I read that the leather in the Prius is some sort of fake leather. Can anyone else confirm this, or am I out of my mind?

5. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, I'm a Toyota salesperson and Prius owner of course. Lately it seems that around my area, Touring package 6s are hard to come by. But, really, not super rare if you consider what's available. If you've never driven the prius before, it's pretty simple to get used to them. The touring edition is better, though. The wheels make a difference, the suspension is tuned a little better (I don't know exactly what is tuned, though), and you get some new chrome accents, too. Really, you're gonna enjoy the car. As far as negotiations go, which you're not really concerned about...I sold a Toyota at invoice yesterday to keep a customer from buying from the guy down the road.

I wish more people would consider car buying like tipping at a restaurant. If you refuse to buy a car until you get it at or below invoice, it's like leaving a one penny tip for the waiter. By all means, if you think the salesperson is bad at his job, talk them down like there's no tomorrow. You'll eventually get near or at invoice price.

My situation yesterday didn't leave me too bitter, though, because I'm new at this, and I just want to generate a solid customer base...and one of them is coming back next week about a Camry Hybrid, so...

Anyways, good luck, enjoy your new Prius!

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi GoEco,

See if the dealership will do an alignment check on the car before you take delivery. There have been several PC threads where people had squirelly no-wind highway tracking problems. These were traced to poor alignment or bent rear axles.

7. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Apr 21 2007, 04:25 AM) [snapback]427245[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes! Thank you. I knew I was forgetting something.

Any other tips?

Thanks for the inside input freke70. I don't know how it is in GA, but here it seems like all the Internet sales groups are offering the same prices (within $100) which is very close to the Costco fleet prices which all see quite fair. So we know what we're getting walking in. It will be the trade-in where negotiations lie.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For some reason, I am up 4:30 Sunday morning and see today is your day. Were you able to sleep last night?

Best of luck today. As for the maintenance agreement, I think you should pass on that. I thought about buying it here at Priuschat, because my dealer wanted $2500 and it is about $800 here for the same thing. Then I called the dealer and asked the service department about the regular services and prices needed over 36000 miles and guess what, they come to around $600.

Remember, the Finance Manager you talk to after you agree on the price is the highest paid sales guy there. He will try hard to sell you all the extras at an inflated price.

As for the new car salesman who compares savy car buyers to those who leave a 1 penny tip, I can understand your pain. I thinkg it would be better for all if a car pricing could be more like a jar of applesauce at the grocery store. Here is the price, do you want it or not? I was happy with my dealer for telling me what they could do and getting me out within about 1.5 hours, but since then, others have paid much less than me. I know that the reson car dealers are able to sell a car near or under invoice is because of volume incentives and kickbacks, and if none of those incentives make their way to the sales guy, that is too bad. I wish the sales people were paid a salary so that their focus could be on helping customers find the right car and answering all their questions honestly.

Be sure to post here what you end up getting. Think Green! Pine Mica Green that is.

10. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Apr 21 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]427216[/snapback]</div>

Wow! How exciting! Congratulations! The others here gave you some very good tips. I'm sure you will be very happy with your decision. I don't regret my purchase in the least, infact I would buy another. Goodluck today!

11. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks everyone! Leaving soon. Now I'm back to waivoring on the leather or not (perforated with kids? Sounds worse than cloth - no?). They're going to hate me. LOL.

I'm wondering if they'll give me anything special for Earth Day, too!

12. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div align="center">~~ :D Added my Happy Update to the OP. :D ~~</div>

13. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

am i the only one that HATED the way the touring drove? :huh: waaaaaaaaaaaaay to rough.... i feld EVERY little bump i the road! and to think... they charge more for that? ICK!

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might consider adding the mudflaps and either a clear bar or a hood deflector to your list.

Don't buy any dealer add ons, especially etching, lojack, any sort of paint treatment of any sort whether it's for sound deadening, rust prevention or 'super better than wax'. Unless they can meet or beat Troy on the extended warranty, don't buy that either.

My best mods were:
    1. BT plate
    2. mudflaps
    3. Priushoods MFD shade
    4. hood deflector
    5. bumper protector
    6. back-up beeper
    7. Wheelskins leather cover for steering wheel.
    8. Dashmat

15. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 26 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]450690[/snapback]</div>

can you post a pic of the dashmat in your car, please! thanx!