1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade a backup cam screen to 4 gen ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by reddogpatch, Jan 22, 2018.

1. reddogpatch

reddogpatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Is it possible to upgrade the backup screen to the latest 4th GEN version with the safety lines??

2. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't the backup/safety lines come from the camera, not the screen?

reddogpatch likes this.
  3. reddogpatch

reddogpatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have no idea..I figured it was a software program that generated/displayed the safety lines..I'm asking for a friend who has a 2013 Prius Prime. She has everything, solar, moon roof, HUD, etc..but has a pet peeve abt not having those "lines" on the backup display..

4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All I know about this is what I've seen on Amazon while looking to upgrade my own backup camera. (By the way, the one thing I do know is that the OEM Gen 3 camera uses 6v, and aftermarket cameras need 12v, so upgrading a Gen 3 camera needs extra wiring for power)

Pyle lists their camera as having a "built-in distance scale"

NOAUKA's camera has a wire you can clip to turn their distance scale off (thumbnail pictures all the way on the left, 4th one down)

Even if the Gen 4 does have the distance lines generated by the display, I've got to think that you'd have a much, much easier time upgrading the camera than you would trying to get the Gen 4 display into the Gen 3.

71D3fCERw6L._SL1046_.jpg

reddogpatch likes this.