1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade bluetooth in 2004 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by iwannanewprius, Feb 18, 2012.

1. iwannanewprius

iwannanewprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We have a 2004 Prius, Package 9. It actually has bluetooth, but all I can do with it is sync my telephone calls on my iPhone. (Actually, it's disappointing, because I can't sync my contact list, but evidently there's some workaround for this involving a laptop...currently investigating.).

Anyways, what I'd like to do is be able to play streaming audio from apps on my iPhone as well as audio files through iTunes. I know that this is currently not possible, but does anyone know what kind of aftermarket products there are that would allow this capability. I don't want something cheap with a cassette and wire where the audio will be compromised. I want some sort of wireless system that works seamlessly and is well integrated. The toyota dealer mentioned it could be done for around $450, but I don't know if that's overpriced and exactly what type of hardware/software they would add to the system.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Justin

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could always add an aftermarket stereo in place of the factory stereo or install it in the little cubby below the factory stereo (stealth) if that pocket is currently not used in your car. This is the cleanest and best performance method.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since we both have pkg 9 I assume you have cassette player, I hook up a cassette adapter to my phone to play music. Due to abuse my wires get frayed so I get a new one every year so I've tried many different brands, every single black adapter I've ever owned has given me a hiss sound at higher volumes, except the new white Philips cassette adapter I picked up at Sears for nine bucks, no hiss, excellent quality, why throw away a perfectly good JBL sound system just to ditch a cord??