1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade Gen II ('08) Prius Map/Voice Firmware?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by larrywal, Dec 28, 2009.

1. larrywal

larrywal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello -- I have an '08 Prius, and two of the biggest complaints I have are that
    * the voice command interface is very poor (it's tough to remember commands, and if I want to "cross modules" (i.e. map to phone) it requires many disjoint steps)

* The Nav system does not speak street names for anything but interstates

I just rode in a 2010 Prius for the first time, and both of these seem vastly improved. Does anyone know if I can bring my Prius into a dealer (or other shop) and upgrade my system to take advantage of these new features?

Thanks,

Larry

2. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Larry,
    There is a new NavDVD ($$$) that might improve the "what names are spoken" problem.
    The TTS quality is not great, the "spoken" street names are difficult to understand.

I do not know if the NavDVD contains the software for the "voice entry" system.

3. larrywal

larrywal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Gary -- is the only place to get the new DVD from the dealer at my next service?

4. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 myself with ver 7.1 of the nav software. My limited (newbie here) knowledge is that the software and hardware come in different generations. So you might be able to upgrade the maps, and some utility, but not the actual hardware. I believe - guess - we have gen 5 hardware. I *think* it can be upgraded to version 9.1 of the maps.

I doubt the full functionality of a new generation Nav on the 2010's is just software.