1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade to 17" Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jgs1564, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jgs1564

jgs1564 New Member

For those of you who've installed the Scion tC 17" wheels and tires on your Prius, how has this change affected your gas mileage? I added these wheels with Yokohama 215/45 17" tires to my Prius a couple of months ago and the mileage has dropped almost 11 MPG! Not only have I experienced a huge drop in gas mileage, but the car has a significantly rougher ride and is somewhat noisier. After spending $800 on this upgrade, I'm going to switch back to the stock wheels and tires (fortunately, I kept them). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this unfortunate change.

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wider tires and softer compound have a dramatic impact on roll resistance, so I am really not surprised by your findings.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The tC's wheels are very heavy. With my 225 17" Katana's, my gas milage dropped by 5 mpg. I don't really care because I'd rather have the superior traction.

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry you too had to learn the hard way (as did I) that those TC wheels are way too heavy for our cars. I dropped about 4 MPG but the ride was improved over stock. I have since gone to a lite weight Ray's Gram Lites wheels and tires in 17" which ends up being lighter than the stock wheel tire package. I am very pleased ever since.

5. jgs1564

jgs1564 New Member

Thanks to all of you for your responses regarding my experience upgrading to 17" wheels. Yes, I learned a lesson the hard way. Even though the traction is not as good and the wheels are not that asthetically pleasing (a matter of personal taste, I guess), I definitely miss the higher mileage and the quieter/smoother ride that I was getting with the stock wheels. For these reasons, I've decided to switch back to the stock Prius wheels and tires (fortunately, I kept them). I thought about buying lightweight aftermarket wheels, but I don't want to spend any more money right now.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which tire did you get?

7. kingprius

kingprius New Member

I am a newbie just picked up my silver prius two days ago. Was also looking at the possbility of a 17" upgrade. I also had been looking around for a lightweight alternative to volks since they are so expensive. I found a wheel company called velox that has a 17" light weight wheel called vx-6r. At 14.6 pounds, it seems like a good wheel... Anyone heard of them?

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with the General Exclaim UHP 215/45/R17 on the Ray's 17x7.5 rims in silver.
    I posted a thread on this whole switch with actual weights. It was December of '06 if that helps. The tire is a nice quiet tire amd I presently have 28K on them and expect to get another 10K before replacement. Good even wear on all four; I rotate every 5K miles when I do oil/filter.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many aftermarket wheels are the same weight as the stock units but the 17" tires are usually much heavier. I believe the General UPH? is one of the few that will weigh near stock. Even with a 14lb rim I ended up being 6lbs+ over the stock combo so I went back to stock for now.

10. kingprius

kingprius New Member

Just thought I'd show the wheels. Yes indeed it does reduce the mpg a bit.. But the handling and added stability are a plus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JT McDangles likes this.
  11. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kingprius,
    Your Prius looks niiiiiccce. I like it alot.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree!!

13. kingprius

kingprius New Member

Thanks guys. I figured a little gas mileage sacrificed is a good tradeoff for having the car be more surefooted. I actually ran 205 45 17 instead of the 215 45 17 many put on. That way I kept the weight gain at a minimum... The stock weighted at 35.5 lbs with tires. The new combo was at 37.5 lbs... So the gain was minimal. The major contributors were two things:

1. My right foot... :D
    2. Tall ratio created by bigger wheel/tire.....

I think the latter was more since the overall taller gear ratio produced by the bigger wheels actually slow down the vehicle more...

Another thing though was that I also used forged lug nuts to further negate the weight... I know the stock ones weight probably triple of what the forged lug nuts were... But I didnt weight them....yet... lol.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kingprius, did you have the touring wheel combo because the stock 15" wheel/tire should not weigh over 32lbs or so?

15. kingprius

kingprius New Member

yes. mine came with the touring package. The weight of the touring wheels with tires is 35lbs. It is indeed true though that tires should also be picked with care for light weight and resistance as the tires themselves are a big weight factor... For me though I picked a more aggressive and better traction tire as my wife uses the car more often than I do... Another factor I forgot to mention is the width of the wheels and tires. The wheels are 17x7.0 which is half an inch narrower than many on the market. The tires are a little narrower too which is only one size up at 205 45 17 vs. 215 45 17...

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info. Thank you :)

I was curious what the touring edition combo weighed.

17. kingprius

kingprius New Member

no problem. I am surprised though that no one weighted the touring wheels though... The thing is that based on my observations, there are always trade offs with any tire and wheel set up. So long as you know what u prefer, you can buy tire/wheel package accordingly. If u want best economy, stick to a 15 lighter weight wheel. But u won't have the best stability.

18. 911turbox50

911turbox50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    pic of my new rims...let me know what you think...

Attached Files:

19. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    fresh! [​IMG]

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very impressed, that looks very good. Tempted to fit 17" wheels at the next tyre change.