1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

upgrade to HID lights from Halogens

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by gottagetone, May 18, 2007.

1. gottagetone

gottagetone Member

Can you upgrade the standard lights that come on a Prius to the HID lights by only replacing the bulbs?

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GottaGetOne @ May 17 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]444639[/snapback]</div>
    No, the HID lights also require a high voltage transformer/ballast to bump the car's normal 12v power system up enough for HID bulbs.

There are some kits available online to do halogen -> HID conversions, however since they're not official Toyota parts, you're more or less on your own. Expect to pay $100 or so for the cheap no-name kits (likely of dubious quality), and a few hundred for higher-quality conversion kits.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, there'll be glare from the halogen headlight compound.

4. dir

dir New Member

Doesn't one of the U.S. 2007 models come with HID headlights? It's not an option here in Au and I was thinking it must be possible to order all the parts from the U.S. or Japan and simply install them. All the connectors and mount points would likely be there. I know there'd be ballast and auto-leveling motors and loads of other stuff, and probably not worth the money.

But isn't it possible?

D

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd imagine even if you could get the entire lens and ballast assembly (perhaps off of a totaled Prius that sustained only side or rear impact damage), there might be some ECU considerations since there are warning indications that will display on the MFD if a HID fails to strike after 3 attempts. I'm not sure the harness would be present in the halogen equipped Prius.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you wanna become a bigger theft target, sure...
    _H*

7. TRStahl

TRStahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dir @ May 18 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]444830[/snapback]</div>

I just got a 2007 Touring Edition with HID lamps. Very white and light the road well but not blue like some.

8. telegraph

telegraph New Member

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the Prii with HID headlights also have an auto-leveling sensor on the rear axle to keep you from blinding other drivers with your headlights. You shouldn't install the headlights without that sensor, and I suspect that would add some significant extra cost to the mod.

10. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    u can buy a ebay kit for the socket that works with the prius headlamps, all it is is the ballast and plug to plug in the bulb for the standard light, and on the other end u plug the HID bulb in and stick it in the headlamp. I recently installed a kit on a 05 GTO and it was great, the cut off was amazing, but that car had stock projector lenses.

11. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

12. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

My 2007 pkg 6 also came with HID lamps (that auto-level) for the person asking about it.

13. aponteluis

aponteluis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two