1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade to LED headlights and turn signals (Prius v 2015-2017)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusV17, Apr 28, 2024.

1. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I upgraded to LED headlights and turn signals. Just want to share a few key things.
    Buy spares since a bulb just might not work. One of the turn signal bulbs hyper flashed when it shouldn't have.

Turn signal bulbs hyper flash unless you get the ones with the built-in load resistors.
    The ones I got were these and they work fine. They are a bit bright for the front but no hyper-flashing.

turn-signal-led.jpg

For my Prius v the good thing is you don't have to remove any bumper panels under the car. Everything can be changed from the top by removing one clip to gain access to the turn signal bulbs.

turn-signal-access-1.jpg turn-signal-access-2.jpg turn-signal-access-top.jpg turn-signal-orig.jpg turn-signal-1.jpg turn-signal-lights.jpg

From there turn the bulb to unlock and then use the 'stick' attachment to pull it out. Then I stalled the LED turn signals.

For the H11 bulbs I used Sealight. First install in 2020 and haven't changed them since.

h11-led-headlight.jpg

For the 9005 high beam I used a no name brand found all over eBay. The Sealight version didn't fit with the cover compartment closed.

To remove the cover turn it toward least resistance. I had to use a flat head screw driver to pop one of them open because it won't turn. When removed you can change the 9005 bulb for high beams.

9005.jpg 9005-highbeam.jpg

9005-led-highbeam-1.jpg 9005-led-highbeam.jpg

Also I washed my engine with garden hose washing. I covered the wire box connectors with blue painters tape. Covered the engine air intake with a rag and washed the car. Wiped off any excess water. Removed the rag and took the car for a spin. Did hard stops and acceleration to get sitting water out. To me washing the car was risky. But I took it out to the desert and had to drive through pools of mud where the engine got soaked in muddy water. So I had no choice but to wash it. If it survived deep muddy water then I better give clean washing a try.

engine-washed.jpg

Air_Boss likes this.