1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading 2004 Prius with Navi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Zeuser, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

I'm really looking at a 2004 Prius these days but it doesn't have the factory navigation. I was wondering how hard it would be to mod it wit ha factory navi. My friend did it with his M3. It's a pretty difficult job but it's doable. It just takes a lot of elbow grease and time *IF* you know how to do it. So... "how" is it done on a Prius?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your best hopes for NAV with a non-NAV 04 Prius is to get a portable device. Trying to add the OEM system would be cost prohibitive.

3. Zeuser

Zeuser New Member

Really? I would think it's a lot less cost prohibitve considering the Prius already comes with the LCD screen. In other retrofits, like my buddy's M3, you have to change major pieces of the dash just to get that LCD screen in there. since that job is already done on the Prius, I would think it would actually be VERY reasonable in terms of pricing. Oh... and if I wanted a portable navi, I wouldn't be asking for the factory install. Portable navi is out of the question. I already 2 portables anyway and neither is going in the Prius.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several components required including a computer. Not an easy or inexpensive job.

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

In order to install factory nav, you would have to replace, among other things, the entire dash wiring harness, the MFD screen, you would have to add the nav ECU, you also would need the antenna...... Might almost be cheaper and easier to simply find a different Prius with factory nav....

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and the aftermarket units totally kick the factory nav's butt.
    _H*

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    nav upgrade

Skip the factory GPS; as others have said, the aftermarket Garmins, etc, are much better and you can use them in other vehicles (or airplanes). One nifty thing about an add on is that you can have GPS running at the same time as the normal MFD functions, AND, you can program the GPS without having to stop the car. This latter disfunction is one the main gripes Prius owners seem to have for the OEM system.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

This is one of the reasons cars with nav have a lower resale value than non nav. Its cheaper to buy an aftermarket that is easily updated than the builtin ones that are not and dont have as many features. Something to keep in mind the next time your out looking for a new car.

9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Navigation

I just got my Prius a few weeks ago and my '08 (I think) has navigation capability, but it appears that it is not activated. What is the easiest way to get this navigation feature activated and ready to use?

10. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

Navigation

Why is it that all the complaints about the navigation in the Prius, are from people that didn't get the navigation package. Having the OEM navigation is a wonderful thing because you don't have to worry about removing the unit when you park or hiding it. People have said that the suction cup marks on the windshield are a welcome mat for thieves. With OEM navi there are no worries if you forget or don't have time to hide the unit. As far as resale values for packages having navi being lower than ones without, where is your proof? See, you should have gotten OEM navi in the first place.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Built in NAV

Look under the driver's seat; the NAV system (the DVD part) is there. If it isn't there you don't have the NAV system. If you have it, it should work by pressing the MAP button.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What makes you think that it has the navigation system?

How many buttons does your car have on the Multi Function Display bezel? If you have seven (four on the left and three on the right), you have the NAV, otherwise you don't.