1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

upgrading speakers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dolce_Vita, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, i have a base model '08 Prius (Australian spec).

The sound system is pretty basic sounding (ie: crap) and i was wanting to know if its possible to upgrade the door speakers. I wanted better speakers without changing the actual radio unit touchscreen, so basically just replace the speaker behind the OEM panel, would this be possible?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you can upgrade just the speakers.

I replaced mine with Infinity Reference Component speakers in the front and Infinity Kappa in the rear. The sound improved. When I upgraded the head unit, further improvement is more dramatic.

It is up to you to upgrade in stages (like me) or do it all at once.

3. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I can upgrade with any brand of speaker as long as it's the correct size? Where does the new head unit go? & how does it work with the OEM touchscreen & steering wheel controls?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. el diablo

el diablo Team "ME"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the stock speaker sizing 6.5 in the front and 6.5 in the rear?

I would do as he mentioned earlier by replacing the speakers and the headunit at one time. With better speakers, if you have a crappy signal (stock headunit) then you really won't benefit from the mod. Also, if you get a seperate amp then the sound quality goes up from there. Just have to figure what works for you. I'll be replacing the entire system soon.:D

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, both front and rear I replaced were 6.5".

7. el diablo

el diablo Team "ME"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!:rockon:

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are just going to replace the factory speakers, but not the amp, do not forget to make sure the speakers that you are going to use are somewhat close to the impedance of the factory speakers. If you way off, the amp is not gonna like it and complain. Usually compaints are filed along with a puff of smoke from the amp as she blows.
    On the bright side, usually most speakers have the impedance printed on the back. Usually it's a number from anywhere between 2 Ω to 36 Ω. Ohms is indicated by the greek symbol "Omega" Ω. So an 8 Ohm speaker usually would have "8 Ω" printed on the back of the magnet. The closer the match the better!

9. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, thanks so much guys :) this is super helpful :)

how many Ohms are the stock speakers? I plan on getting these speakers professionally installed by a major retailerof electronics/car HiFi etc

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might want to check out Crutchfield
    Car Selector
    Installation video
    Car Speakers Installation Video
    If you buy from them you get detailed instructions, including tools to remove door hardware and mounting bolts, and they will know the specs of the stock unit...

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha, That is the right question!!! However since the schematic does not indicate the value, and unless anyone out here who has already pulled their stock speakers chimes in with a value, you can read the back of the magnet, like I mentioned, it's usually printed there. One minor inconvience, the door speakers are pop rivoted in!!! Thanks Toyota for that one!! If there are no markings, you can aways use an accuate Ohm Meter, set it to the X1 scale and measure the speaker. You can also test speaker polarity with the meter!

1 person likes this.
  12. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, thats so technical :s Will the installers of the new speakers make sure the ohms match up correct or will that be up to me? & will a 6" speaker be compatible with the Prius? I looked at the speaker grills on the door, they dont appear to pop out, so does that mean the interior whole door panel will have to be removed to replace the speakers?

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I remember reading stock radio being 2 ohm. That's why I got Infinity speakers. If you are changing both speakers and head unit, just make sure both will work with each other.

1 person likes this.
  14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer the last question first, YES! Entire door panel pops off!!!
    As far as the Stereo shop, I would ask the them these questions. You need to match the speakers to the amp for proper results. If they say it doesn't matter I would not trust them to do the job.
    If however you tell them you want to replace the speakers with ones within an Ohm or two, and they understand and indicate that would be best, go for it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much guys :) I'll go this weekend to enquire about the speakers :)

16. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also make sure that you get "component" speakers for the front - tweeters separate from the 6.5" mids - to fit the tweeters in the A-pillar mounts properly. Coaxial or "2-way" for the rear doors if you really care about the sound for the rear passengers. Many would say it's not that important to bother upgrading the rear door speakers. So as usbseawolf said, you can step into this gradually. Do the front components first and see if that's enough to make you happy. Stick to speakers with lower than 4Ohm rating and you're fine. Many speakers that claim 4Ohm are actually closer to 3 anyway.
    Car audio gear is an odd business, be sure to buy from an Authorized Dealer if you want a valid warrantee. The same speakers can be found for a lot less via many online retailers but you won't get warrantee support from the maker if they fail and the local shop certainly won't be thrilled to help if you didn't buy from them.
    Whichever shop you go to will have a certain list of brands they carry "Authorized" so you'll be somewhat limited in choice unless you shop around a bit. Make sure you listen to the speakers and do some comparisons. Numbers, specs and testimonials from others about which brand or model is best mean nothing if your ears (and wallet) don't agree. Good luck!

- D

1 person likes this.
  17. el diablo

el diablo Team "ME"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct! Two good sources of forums to read up on mobile audio is caraudio forum and diyma. Bring your fav cd or some genre of music you listen to a lot. Listen to the different brand/setups and see what suits your needs in their demo area. D, is on point in regards to rear speakers. They are more filler and some people don't bother replacing them when running a sub. Some even just run them off the headunit. I'll be running just replacement speakers in the stock location with no sub. Of course, my headunit will be replaced with an aftermarket four channel amp. Just to give you an idea as well, silk dome tweeters generally have a warmer sound versus the metal tweeters which are harsher. Also, you might want to look into drivers that give off more midbass if not running a sub. Again, its a matter of preference. Good luck and report back with your setup.:rockon:

18. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    again, thanks sooo much guys :) I was wondering, will the Ohms rating system still be vaild in Australia, as the Metric system in used instead of Imperial?

19. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ohm is an SI unit and should be the same everywhere.

20. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    VFAQ Prius Site - Choose "Stereo" in the "2004-9 Prius FAQ" top frame.

"What are the 6 speakers in the base stereo?"
    "What are the 9 speakers in the JBL stereo?"

Includes impedance values.

1 person likes this.