1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading stock am/fm CD player and speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aggriffin3, Jun 15, 2007.

1. aggriffin3

aggriffin3 New Member

Has anyone out their replaced their stock speakers and add an amp to their existing system. I feel like if I give it better speakers with cleaner and more power, that I would be happy. Will a hybrid be able to handle an amp with their existing electrical system?
    Anyways, thanks for the past info, and keep it between the lines...

Newkie

2. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are quite a few posts about upgrading the existing Stereo system. I assume with Package #9, you have the upgraded stereo with the 6 disc CD system.

In order of importance these are the mods I would do.

1. Turn down the midrange and turn up the high to max. 0$
    2. Disconnect the center speaker.$0
    3. Replace the front tweeters.$100-$200

At this point your system should sound much much better. This is where I am at.

4. Replace the front woofers (although the existing ones are pretty good).$100-$200
    5. Install sound deadening material in the doors to eliminate the door panel rattles.$50-$100
    6. Install an amplified subwoofer. The simplest would be to use the JVC SW1 and put it in the rear hatch area above the spare tire. $150

At this point you need to start spending big bucks on equipment to go to the next level. The best would be to go to JL Audio compenents and;

7. Install and SSI summing device to combine the front high and low amp outputs. Install a cleansweep to equalize the outputs from the amp. Install a 4 or 5 channel amp. This step would be about $1000.