1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading the 12-volt battery in a Classic

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kenmce, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In a Prius Classic the 12-volt battery lives in the trunk. It is hidden behind the left hand side upholstery. You can take out the upholstery to inspect it. It is small, about the size of a motorcycle or garden tractor battery. When you go to start the car the 12-volt is used to power up the computers. The computers in turn use the traction battery to turn over the ICE to start it. This means the 12-volt never does any real mechanical work, which is why Toyota decided to leave it small. Some people think a touch too small.

The battery is sitting down in a well formed by the left rear quarter panel. There is plenty of room to put in different units. There are three considerations:

The stock battery has a little tube coming out of it. This tube plugs into an opening to outside air. If the battery ever outgassed, the (explosive) gas would go through the tube and exit the car. It is desirable to keep this feature, but limits what you can pick.

The terminals on the battery are a special small size. You can keep the factory fittings and look for a battery that will mate with them, or you can cut them off and put on normal fittings, the car doesn't care.

The new battery should (if you so choose) be bigger than the old one, but you need to make sure it will still fit in the well. The battery has a hold down, I forget what, but it will hold the battery steady no matter what you do with the car. I think you could roll the car and it would hold steady. You may have to modify the hold down if the new battery is taller or wider than the old one, so it is still secure.

When you look at the battery you will see a smallish black wire that comes off the negative terminal and bolts to the trunk floor. This is of course your negative ground for the whole car.

On the red (positive) side there is a somewhat fancier terminal. It has a small wire that the computers use to keep an eye on the batteries state of charge, so they know when to top it up. There is a heavier wire that goes off to I don't know where, this is the positive lead for the 12-volt system for the whole car.

Built into the positive fitting is a good sized fuse, I think it is something like 50 or 100 amps. If it blows then you will have no connection between the battery and the two positive wires, and the car will do nothing. Toyota doesn't like people using the Prius to give other cars jumps, because you might blow this fuse, and it is a dealer part. I consider it unsocial to not jump people so I bought a spare fuse, (it was around $20?) put it in a tin can, and left it down in the well. Jumped several cars, never blew the fuse. I also used the battery to run an inverter. The inverter had its own fuse but I liked having a spare for the car in case something screwed up somehow.

Two batteries that I recall offhand are the Mazda Miata battery and the Optima YellowTop. I believe they are both stronger and plug into the existing harness, but you'll need to check.

These threads have some discussion:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-ma...s-battery.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-technical-discussion/45737-want-12-volt-battery-specs.html

2. HOVZOOM

HOVZOOM New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
  3. MontyMan

MontyMan Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For about a year my accessory battery was in steady decline. I first noticed that when the Prius was powered on the computer display and the LEDs in the dash display would go dim, then brighten and the engine would start. Sometimes it would not start at all unless the heat/AC switch was turned off. Then after a weekend of not being driven the car would not start, then just overnight it would not start. I suspected the accessory battery; after all, if it was the original it was eight years old.

I read the article about the Miata battery conversion but in the end elected to shell out the $170 for the OEM deep-cycle battery. I was afraid the Miata battery (a starting battery) would not last long in deep-cycle service. I tried three parts places but discovered Toyota somehow still has the market cornered.

My local Toyota dealership got the battery in one day. They are delivered fully charged and it instantly solved all my electrical issues.

Cool!
    .......MontyMan.

4. HNDRICKS10

HNDRICKS10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Classic with 123,000 miles on it.

I needed to replace the Battery (accesory) last Feb 2008.

I live in Minnesota, Because of our weather extremes -20 f in Winter
    95 + summers, we normally get 3 years or so on a battery.( i got 5)

I tried a of brand and it didn't work out so I got the 145.00 one from
    Toyota. They did offer me a stronger battery modification for 195.00.

This Modification would use a normal sized post bigger (amp size)
    and convert my old connectors to the larger size needed.

I decided the old size worked for 5 years so I just replaced it with the same
    battery from Toyota.

Tom

2002 Prius
    and
    2005 Prius

5. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of the first things I'm going to do once my G1 actually gets delivered to me is see if I can squeeze an optima red top in there (I already have a spare). They are a gel type ventless battery that may be a good application for this car. A lot of performance car enthusiasts relocate their batteries from the engine bay to the trunk anyway to make more room for intercoolers, air intakes, etc... and don't seem to be concerned about battery venting.

Which also makes me ponder.... can we do the reverse relocation and put the battery back the engine bay (especially if it is that small....)?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If TSB EL014-03 was done on your Classic, you have a larger, higher-capacity battery with standard (for US) size terminal posts. The dealer will have replaced the tray, hold down, and cable clamps so the larger battery and standard posts fit perfectly and look perfectly stock.

That still doesn't help much with finding a replacement, because even this battery is an uncommon size (there is a low clearance to the traction battery vent duct) and still needs to be a spill-proof technology with a hose attachment for the relief valve. The TSB upgrade battery is a Panasonic S55D23L.

A thread with this information and the battery dimensions is here:
    https://priuschat.com/forums/prius-technical-discussion/46026-aux-battery-specs-nhw11-post-tsb.html

The fuse is 120A. You are not likely to blow it in jumping another vehicle as long as you *only* use the jump connection to charge the other battery, and *remove* the cables before trying to crank the other vehicle. That's an especially good idea because the fuse is really an attempt to protect your DC/DC converter, which is more money on the line than the price of a fuse.

-Chap

Tryyn likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Uhh ... looked under the hood yet? :D

-Chap

8. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Uh, kinda hard to on account I don't have the car in my possession yet. I can dream can't I?

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They probably put the 12-volt in the trunk because there's not a lot of empty space up front.

10. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you ever do this? I too have an extra red top and would like to replace the OEM battery before winter arrives.

11. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I upgraded my (2nd) Westco Replacement battery with an Optima Yellow top a few weeks ago. I didn't need to convert that much since the Westco had been in there previously. It was easy to install and works great.

For those keeping track, yes, my 4th 12V Battery. My wife leaves the inside lights on occasionally, usually all day or overnight in the winter. And with kids, the occasional door open all night, too. I wish it didn't happen, but going through only 3 12-Volt batteries in 8 years is pretty good in our household. original-2yrs, Westcos-3yrs each. We're going for 4 or more years on the Yellow Top.

I would suggest looking at Prius parts for decent 12V battery prices and easy kits with nice instructions on getting it done yourself. They even provided custom instructions for me when switching from WestCo to the Optima Yellow Top.

P.S. Keep the original vent tube connector from the original Toyota battery, you'll need it for the Yellow Top.

12. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi; could I get clarification on which side in trunk?

Some sites say far R; some say far L; I have an '01 -- which side is it actually? I have stuff in trunk I'm going to have to move. Also, I swear I replaced battery less than 5 yrs ago. How much of a warranty do batteries usually have?

Boyfriend ordered replacement from AutoZone; I don't think my b-friend realizes it's in the trunk and I don't think he's going to be able to put in himself. Probably Autozone people won't put it in, either.

So what's the recommendation on type of battery to get so that it doesn't go bad in less than 3-5 years?

I don't think a jump will do it (I believe I left map light on) as for about 3 weeks - a mo. I'd be listening to an audio c.d. and when I stopped the car, about 1 minute later the screen (with the mileage, time, temp etc.) would go blank.

Never any problem starting car, however.

Any help appreciated, but mainly for sure need to know what side!!!!!! (If you could say driver's side/pass side, not just R or L bc might depend where you're standing)

Thanks!

pp

13. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also interested in recommendations for 12-volt batteries. Last time I replaced mine I went with an OEM one from Toyota (Panasonic brand I think) which probably wasn't the best deal.

The battery is on the driver's side. Looks like they moved it to the passenger's side in the Gen 2, hence the conflicting information.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For this exact reason, a car's left or right is always referenced standing behind the car looking forward, or sitting in the driver's seat facing forward.

15. Gen1Prius

Gen1Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my 12 V battery with one that I got here on the website I believe which was e-learning and they happen to offer the GEN 2 optima battery along with the conversion kit, which was changing the battery terminal ends to the larger size that the GEN 2 uses. There were a little bit of modifications to have to be made because of the larger size of the battery but everything was very simple to do. My question now is my app. My battery seems like it needs to be replaced and I am wondering if anybody has used a different manufacturer for the 2002 GEN 1 Prius?

16. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have replaced a bunch of Gen 1 OEM batteries with Group 51R from InterState, including refitting the original (small) battery connectors with US Standard size connectors. Some woodworking is necessary to get a 2x4 or comparable bit of lumber under the battery so it fits stably in the space of the original battery. A 7 year(+/- 2 years) lifespan can be expected.

17. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What dabard051 said. I currently have an Interstate 51R installed in my '02 since May 2017, and it's still going strong. Located in the trunk, the 12V is spared the stresses of heat and cold exposure under the hood. The OE Panasonic 12V lasted about ten years, then I converted the clamps to US standard so I could use domestic brands. I shimmed underneath with a piece of high-density board from the scrap box, to raise the battery case about an inch. The original hold-down was replaced with a rubber cargo strap, and a new ground cable installed. I did not bother with venting, despite dire warnings from certain individuals on the old Yahoo Prius board, and have had absolutely no problems in that regard, recalling that I drove a '64 VW Beetle for many years with the (unvented) 6v battery under the rear seat! Replacing the positive (red) clamp is literally a snap, as it bolts right onto the existing connection; the hardest part was getting the original bolt loose. All of the described mods were non-destructive and are totally reversible. The entire procedure makes for a very satisfying DIY project, and at minimal cost.

P.S. When the Interstate battery fails, I'm going with this one: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/lawn-tractor-and-mower/sliu1rxhd
    It should be perfectly adequate to boot the hybrid system, et al. I already have the bolt-on conversion terminals to fit the US standard clamps I installed (see above).

#17 Trombone, May 10, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Jakob likes this.