1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading the fuel tank capacity on a gen 2 prius, is it doable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Us3dPriusOwner, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Us3dPriusOwner

Us3dPriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw this recently on Amazon and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the fuel tank on a Prius with a larger Fuel tank? I'm very new to Fuel tanks so no idea if that's even a thing, and thought I'd ask if anyone every done something like this?

In the pictures I noticed it's connected to the Fuel tank but it's located outside of the Fuel tank, like in the trunk or in the bed of a truck.

Here is the item I'm talking about:
    "Edicapo Universal 20 Gallon 80L Fuel Cell Tank Polished Aluminum Silver with Cap/Level Sender/12FT Oil Feed Line"

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose anything is possible, but i doubt that it is practical, and i have never seen it done.

3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know why you would want to increase the capacity, the 40 ltr tank in my '06 prius returned 700km driving at hwy speeds ... and my bladder needs a service stop by then :lol:
    If the bladder thing they use in the USA is giving you problems, try to find a tank from a Canadian model that doesn't have a bladder, or from England or even Australia ... although the freight might be a bit of a head spin if it's anything like trying to get things from the sates delivered to Australia ......

T1 Terry

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel bladder definitely has a significant impact. Depending on the season, my car has a fuel capacity as little as 6 gallons (23 liters) in the coldest days to 9 gallons (34 liters) in the hottest days.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Scratch the Canada model from the option list, it also has the bladder.

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Might have to bite the bullet and buy one from the UK or Australia, the AU one holds 45 ltrs (9.9 imp gal/ 11.9 US gal) maybe a little more in mid summer on a trip, the expanding fuel in the tank blows it up a bit bigger, but it does get hot over here in summer, hot enough to melt the tar on the road ......
    I put 40 ltrs av on every fill up because I don't want that annoying " add fuel" beeper and warning bar coming up on the centre screen ....
    With the new traction battery, I'm getting between 700km and 800km for the 40 ltrs, depends how heavy the foot gets on the less patrolled roads :lol:

T1 Terry

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't the Japanese version of Gen2 have a bladder-less 60 liter tank? That was part of how the hypermilers there achieved 1400 to 1800 miles per tank.

8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Would there be any value in carting around the added weight? But the price might be better than a vehicle dismantler used one from Aus by the time freight was added ...
    I was getting 1800km out of 40 ltrs when I had the 76 x 40Ah cell battery in the boot and drove at a max of 80km/h (50 mph) where it was zoned 80 km/h or less and only engaged the ICE when we needed to drive faster. The extended range battery recharged from the solar at home.
    When I bought the vehicle from "Jason in OZ" it had 1/2 tank of fuel and 2,500 kms on the centre screen that shows distance on last tank, but he drove everywhere around Sydney at under 80 km/h on pure electric and recharged each night

T1 Terry

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, even with plenty of plug-in energy, you didn't match the MPGs of those Gen2 hypermilers without any plug-in? ;)

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We may have the bladder too; would be good to check.

11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like I could light foot it long enough to get an extended range from a tank of fuel :lol:

T1 Terry