1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading TO JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gurmail, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love the JBL 6 CD system. From what I have seen and heard, the dealers(port?) add the 6 CD changer under the single CD. I have also read that the 6 CD changer doesn't display CD text.( if installed later as an accessory). I have a #7 (AM) and would love to get the JBL 6 CD changer. I know the extra speakers in the back doors would be missing but would it improve the rest of the sound system in addition to giving me a 6 CD changer and a cassette player? Does anyone know? Is it not possible to purchase an exact JBL system with the tape player and have it installed? Are there any other fundamental differences?

2. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think changing head unit will affect sound much. Complete JBL system includes amplifier and differet speakers. I think most important part is subwoofer (which JBL system still misses), then amplifier, then speakers, then the head unit.

I own Prius with the same package and I now have upgraded audio. Biggest jump in quality happens when you add external amplifier with crossover and a subwoofer. I do not mean thumping bass. Subwoofer allows you to remove bass frequencies from small front door speakers reducing distortions, boominess and door rattle. Next step is to replace speakers by better units with well designed crossovers. Only then head unit begins to matter.

I still have stock speakers and yet the sound is much better. I do have currently a different head unit (Alpine), but when I upgraded audio in my previous car, I kept stock head unit and yet sound quality was very good.

3. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I understand about the amplifier, different speakers(??) etc but would a JBL head unit with a 6CD changer and a cassette player work or be installable without serious modifications? I would be happy to get a 6 CD changer and a cassette player in the original spot. The dealers only seem to offer a 6 CD changer without the cassette player and that too under the original one, in the storage area. Surely people can buy/order the JBL head unit? For example if one stops working, it would have to be replaced. I suspect the connections might be similar too. If anyone has upgraded from JBL and wants to seel theirs, I would be happy.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The JBL head unit (which is a pioneer I believe) REQUIRES the JBL amplifier. The head unit provides fixed line level analog R & L outputs, as well as digital control signals through the AVC network (in conjunction with the MFD) to tell the amplifier how to set its 7 outputs. Yes, 7 outputs. The other two speakers are the rear tweeters crossed over from the rear full-range speakers.
    The 9th speaker is nothing more than a mono channel. This could be used to feed a single channel sub amp and speaker.

5. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Danman. Is there any way of adding this amplifier along with a JBL unit, withou having all 9 speakers, ie connecting the 6 that come with non JBL Prii? If I drive up to Florida from California, could you do it for me? :?

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I am sure the amp and the header (not to mention the wiring) is prohibitively expensive. I believe there are after-market headers that work with the MFD/steering if that is your goal, and if not, any header should do. I'd suggest contacting an auto audio shop familiar with the gen II prius. If you are looking for a trip to Florida, (or an excuse for one), try Coastal Dave. He appears most equipped for this, as I am not.