1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading to navigation system?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ewmaher, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ewmaher

ewmaher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III with the JBL sound system. I'm seeing some reasonably priced OEM nav systems on ebay and am thinking about upgrading.

I have read that there is an adapter that allows this head unit to connect to the JBL speakers. I'm wondering if sound quality will suffer. Has anyone done this upgrade?

Thanks

2. David2sav

David2sav david2sav

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd like to know the same. My GF has a 2011 prius and she has been jealous of my 2012 screen for quite some time now. Does anyone know any good aftermarket nav systems?

3. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also interested in the upgrade :)

4. DP5882

DP5882 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also in the market for aftermarket navi. After intensive reacher, I found advent otopri1 system to be the best. In fact, it's best the toyota's navi. It is very pricey, and the price never goes on sale. Also, can't be bought any where except at authorized dealers...
    The below site was very helpful. I called this business and spoke to guy name Walt.(owner?) he also has many information on YouTube.
    Finally, this is the only aftermarket system with buttons luminated in green light( like toyota) for factory look. Good luck! (Detroit, Mi)

5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is my understanding that 2010-2011 with JBL can be upgraded to the 2010-2011 OEM nav unit, because it ONLY came with JBL. You can't go from a 2011 radio to a 2012 nav unit "Display Audio" or "Premium HDD Nav" though. You must use the factory parts correct for that year, OR go aftermarket.

Ottonavi, Rosen, and a couple others make "eBay special", Toyota lookalikes with all the bells and whistles. Alpine makes a special dash kit to install their 8" (!) nav unit in the Prius and it looks well-integrated. Cost is the main deciding factor. The Chinese units work well and are usually drop-ins for $5-700. The alpine will be 3x that for all the pieces once it's all done.