1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upper Radiator Hose Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MeridianHawk, Nov 1, 2018.

1. MeridianHawk

MeridianHawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I recently purchased a used 2005 Prius. During the inspection from the mechanic, they recommended we replace the radiator hoses and quoted a price over $600 for the labor. When I asked why this was so expensive, the reply was: "I don't know what Toyota was thinking but Yes you have to take everything out of the way to get to the upper hose, Also the electric components are probably added into this for safety issues."

Based on all the other posts I've read, this is incorrect and I should be able to replace the hose myself with very little problems. I also don't really know why a radiator hose would need to have any electric components replaced. Just seems fishy to me.

My biggest concern doing it myself is the coolant...I've never changed any fluids in my car and I'm a bit wary of making any mistakes...is it just a matter of replacing the fluids and getting out the air bubbles or is there a bigger process when flushing out the system?

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Contact Matt at Texas Prius Battery Replacement
    maybe he knows of a reputable mechanic near you.

He's a member here, and has a legitimate business. No scamlist (craigslist) or fleaBay (eBay) seller.

Prius is just a simple DRAIN and FILL. No flushing.

Eliminating air is the most difficult part.

Most here use Toyota SLLC and NOT aftermarket coolant that is marketed as "hybrid" safe/compatible.

3. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If my recollection serves correctly, problems with radiator hoses are very rare with Prii. Unless you can see or feel brittleness, cracking, bulgeing, or leaking, I would question the wisdom of disturbing a well functioning system.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bought new 07 and my hoses are still in good shape. But very easy to replace you just dump the rad and fill back up. No air lock invoked.

I would buy the oem hoses online though and not use the crap they sell at auto parts stores. Try to use the factory clamp too if its not corroded as its a superior hose clamp.