1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

URGENT: Clunking noise in the rear; can I drive 25 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roll Eyes, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I was driving on the highway (interstate) out of town this afternoon, a sudden clunking sound started on the rear passenger side of my 2nd Gen Prius (year 2005, over 210,000 miles on it). I drove about 5 more miles with the clunking sound. There is a slight shake along with the clunking sound - less shake when driving at a constant speed and more shake as the Prius was slowing down or coming to a stop at the stop sign or red light.

Here is the audio of the clunking sound. I need to drive 25 miles to get home. Can I drive my Prius 25 miles slowly at 10 to 20 miles per hour and get home tonight? Or is it going to be dangerous to drive 25 miles even at 10 to 20 miles per hour? I will park the Prius after I get home and start reusing Prius after I fix the issue sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Please click at the top right corner to pop-out the recording and use headphones to listen to the clunking sound. For your information, the clunking sound was recorded going at about 10 miles per hour, in a parking lot.

Thank you in advance for your time and any advice you could provide.

#1 Roll Eyes, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your recording does not play for me. It just "spins around the play icon" ad infinitum.

3. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The video in the OP plays at my end. You may also try to click the pop-out icon at the top right corner, which will open the recording in a new browser - please check, if this method works.

Please let me know if the below recording works for you. It's the same recording; I re-uploaded it onto Google Drive and obtained a new link for the recording.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you thrown an eyeball on it to see if there's something obvious going on? Run your hand around the outside of the tire to see if there's a protrusion. I had a front tire delaminate once on the highway and it made about a 4" diameter bubble on the tire that stuck out about a half inch and made a similar thumping noise. I drove the car another 15 miles to get home and then got new tires installed the next day.

5. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not check the tires, but the tires are relatively new. I replaced the old tires (bought this used Prius) with the new ones (all 4 tires) about an year ago. I will go home and jack up the car and see, if I can find something tomorrow. It's night and dark, right now.

Could the problem be related to the inner or outer tie rod or sway bar? I am totally inexperienced and new to this, just throwing out my guesses.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you made it home safe? That's good to hear!

Check the lug nuts to make sure they're tight also.

7. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, I am still 25 miles away from home. Typing this, from a public library.

Can I go drive 25 miles at 10-20 mph and get home? Please, someone give me some assurance. I don't want to get stranded at night in this cold weather.

By the way, I have a folding bike in the back. If I pedal that one in this cold night weather, it will take 2 and a half to 3 hours to get home. Of course, I will seek the permission of the public library, if I can park the Prius in their parking lot for the night.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Unless it's a wheel trying to fall off, clunks aren't usually show-stoppers.

Check the wheels, but you can probably get home.

9. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wheel lug nuts are tight and fine. Public library closes soon. I am thinking of slowly starting to drive home.

Thank you all for your time and replies.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As someone who has had the wheel fall off halfway home, I wish you luck! And I do think you'll get there ok.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Drive on home..or speeds up with vehicle movement.somethong on rear axle .

12. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks, just got home 25 miles away from the place I started this thread, driving at 23 mph, on an average. There is a slight shake along with the clunking sound - less shake when driving at 23 mph and more shake (than driving at 23 mph) as the Prius was slowing down or coming to a stop at the stop sign or red light.

Thank you all for giving me the assurance and confidence to drive my car home. I was worried something might break at the bottom of the Prius.