1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urgent Codes p0117 and p01116

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kmsbanr, Jan 28, 2024.

1. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in awhile but since last time my 07 Prius hit 200,000. Has 201969 now. It’s been a great car and accept for a couple of Toyota aftermarket recalls for fixes for Water Pump and Computer Module I’ve only replaced the Water Pump in 2021 and 8/23 Valve Assy, Vacuum S, Sensor, Oxygen. Oil change 10/23 due now. Oil super clean and full after 4 600 mile drives to and from my daughter’s home.
    This morning was heading back to GA from SC and the Red Triangle came on. Oil is fine (rechecked) and turbulence in coolant reservoir. Turned back and found an Advance Auto Parts to read codes. The store clerk did the reading and wrote down the
    P0117 coolant temperature sensor circuit low and P01116 coolant control valve related.
    Im assuming I shouldn’t drive it 600 miles even though I read about folks doing that ;)
    Any information as to what this indicates? Is it going to keep me in SC awhile. I really wanted to go home even though my grandson is adorable. Thanks
    I forgot to mention I’ve had my 12 volt replaced for the 2nd time 6/21 with another Optima. Other than that typical maintenance and muffler work etc.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    P0117 is "engine coolant temperature circuit low input.
    There is no P01116 (too many digits), but there is a P0116, which is "Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem"

This is assuming the code reader your tech used was actually reading codes correctly, because there is also a:

P1116 which is Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Stuck for Coolant Heat Storage System
    P1117 which is Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Low for Coolant Heat Storage System

The P1116/P1117 combo, I would have no problem continuing to drive the car home.

The other combo P0116/P0117 you may need to get the temperature sensor replaced. I'm not 100% sure how that sensor would affect continued driving.

Just as a precaution, I would probably verify engine coolant level and reservoir level.

kmsbanr likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Drive on get to South Carolina wherever you're going you're not going to have any events seriously and this kind of weather we're having too yeah I would say go on to where you're going I'm driving the same kind of car with way more codes and way more problems and never have a problem with it at all I can pretty much promise you you're going home to South Carolina if you desire

kmsbanr likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice careful analysis. I was about to miss that there were two different ways to read the too-long code.

The P0116/P0117 would make perfect sense together, and might be pretty easy to fix. I'd say it's more likely to be the wiring to the ECT sensor than the sensor itself. Those sensors really don't have much way of going bad. And a wiring issue might be fixed with no more than a little bit of cleaning, taping, or splicing.

kmsbanr likes this.
  5. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for responding. I made it back to my daughter’s. I’ve had no problems with this car as I wrote and after reading on the chat about high temp warning I didn’t see anything on the dash but close to her house I noticed the dash cam had a high temp signal lol. Almost 17 yrs and didn’t know warnings show there. If I did I forgot never having a problem like this. I’m going to have it fixed because I love this little car. It’s been really good to me.

6. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help. I too thought the 116 code had too many numbers but that’s what he wrote but it’s probably as you say. I made it back to my daughters and noticed the high temp warning finally on the dash cam screen . Important info to pass along I’m sure but never having an issue with it like this I expected it to be on the dash. Live and learn lol. I’ll get it fixed before going back to prevent any other issues.

7. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help. I did drive back to my daughters pulling over a number of times in case the engine could be overheating though I was looking at the dash for the warning. Then surprise! There it was on the cam screen a red temp symbol. I had driven as slowly as I could back without causing road rage but the road to her house had no one behind me and I drove about 20 mph and the warning’s weren’t triggered. Getting it fixed before I go back though.

8. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you and great addition that I’ll definitely mention when they diagnose. It’s so helpful getting advise so all areas can be covered.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like there may be an air bubble or something your temp sensor may be sitting in air instead of red coolant or something along those lines and this weather that we're having the last few days the last week or so generally's been relatively cold until the last couple of days Prius generally won't have an overheat problem in that kind of weather I mean unless you've got a serious blockage like a closed thermostat so on and so forth which is pretty rare on these models actually but good you made it home should be pretty easy to get checked out and get straightened out this is a good model to keep running.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dash cam screen You're talking about the little green car is turned red and it's got a line through it or an arrow or some such nonsense that sounds like your inverter pump is gone bad That's the little pump that's behind the left headlight You should hear it making noise when you open the car door and so on and so forth just a thought or maybe that car turns red for a high coolant temp but I think that's high coolant temp for the inverter not the radiator and the ice engine but I could be wrong.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What Tombukt2 is talking about here is the little red-car-! icon that can get drawn over the top left corner of whatever screen you are viewing:

[​IMG]

so if the screen you happen to have up is the Energy Monitor one (which has a little green car in that corner) and this icon gets drawn over it, and you're not paying much attention, you might think it's a little-green-car-turns-red kind of deal.

If that icon appears, it means you should read trouble codes from the hybrid system; there are a couple hundred, so it is better to find out which code(s) you have than to try to guess.

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the drive belt for the water pump ok? Coolant level in the radiator ok? (check when engine is cold)

Could be a thermostat problem or radiator fans. Most faults with the temperature sensor or wiring do not set this code. (usually I see open circuit - voltage high codes).

Overheating due to a bad head gasket is really rare on any (non Gen3 prius) Toyota.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Brian1954 likes this.