1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Urine smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nugget, Sep 13, 2007.

1. nugget

nugget New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In July 07, we got a new Prius. Actually a 2005, but owned by the dealer as a demo. Had 500 miles on it, and full warranty since it is brand new.
    Anyway, some days when the car is in the heat of the sun, it has a subtle urine smell inside. If you turn the aircon or heat on it goes away (introducing outside air).

Even though the car was made more than two years ago, it still has new car smell, which I suppose is the offgassing of plastics, etc. So, we wonder, if anyone else has experienced a faint animal like urine smell during the off-gassing new car smell period.
    I would feel better if some one said they've had it too and it goes away.

Worse case scenario of course is that while on the lot for those two years some litle rodents have nested in the dash and their collection of bedding material is now urine soaked. (Is that covered under warranty, I doubt it? ;)

Thanks.

2. nugget

nugget New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In July 07, we got a new Prius. Actually a 2005, but owned by the dealer as a demo. Had 500 miles on it, and full warranty since it is brand new.
    Anyway, some days when the car is in the heat of the sun, it has a subtle urine smell inside. If you turn the aircon or heat on it goes away (introducing outside air).

Even though the car was made more than two years ago, it still has new car smell, which I suppose is the offgassing of plastics, etc. So, we wonder, if anyone else has experienced a faint animal like urine smell during the off-gassing new car smell period.
    I would feel better if some one said they've had it too and it goes away.

Worse case scenario of course is that while on the lot for those two years some litle rodents have nested in the dash and their collection of bedding material is now urine soaked. (Is that covered under warranty, I doubt it? ;)

Thanks.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars left closed up tend to go mouldy, especially in this BC climate. If the funky smell isn't suddenly worse when you turn the air on, it may not be mice. You should check the cabin air filter anyway (located behind the glove box) and give it a thorough cleaning, or replace it. You could also spray some disinfectant in the air intake to circulate it through the system.

Could it be in the carpets? Sprinkling a box or two of baking soda on the carpets and upholstery, and vacuuming it out later, should freshen it up. Just leaving the windows open for awhile may help.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars left closed up tend to go mouldy, especially in this BC climate. If the funky smell isn't suddenly worse when you turn the air on, it may not be mice. You should check the cabin air filter anyway (located behind the glove box) and give it a thorough cleaning, or replace it. You could also spray some disinfectant in the air intake to circulate it through the system.

Could it be in the carpets? Sprinkling a box or two of baking soda on the carpets and upholstery, and vacuuming it out later, should freshen it up. Just leaving the windows open for awhile may help.

5. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You get the small when you have the A/C on on a hot day, and turn the car off and leave it for a while (sun is out). It has something to do w/ what the A/C does to the air in your car. If you run the car for a few mins...A/C off, fan on high....and open the windows....that smell won't develop by the time you get back.

I think I saw something on the net about how the A/C process causes this to happen for some. I used to get it in my old car all the time. (Acura)

6. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You get the small when you have the A/C on on a hot day, and turn the car off and leave it for a while (sun is out). It has something to do w/ what the A/C does to the air in your car. If you run the car for a few mins...A/C off, fan on high....and open the windows....that smell won't develop by the time you get back.

I think I saw something on the net about how the A/C process causes this to happen for some. I used to get it in my old car all the time. (Acura)

7. prius2go

prius2go Member

same here
    from rear seats area - thought it might be previous owner
    a/c usually switched off now
    are you sure its that?

8. prius2go

prius2go Member

same here
    from rear seats area - thought it might be previous owner
    a/c usually switched off now
    are you sure its that?

9. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I do when running the A/C is turn it off a few blocks from my destination and just leave the fan on. This way it dries out the coils and hopefuly prevents mold from growing. Just my 2 cents worth.

12. nugget

nugget New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    THanks for all that advice...after reading those links I now know that this is a common thing and I'll stop imagining a urine soaked nest of mice behind the dash.

And, we received all those answers with good taste too! No one made juvenile jokes about the car being call a Pee-us, or anything like that.

What a mature bunch!

Nugget in British Columbia.

13. prius2go

prius2go Member

ok I know how to get to the filter behind the glovebox
    where is the one thta filters the air before going into the A/C?

some cars (Citroens) now have a place in the system where you can put some perfume
    any ideas whereabouts that would be?

:mellow: