1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US Army Goes Green Unveils First Hybrid-Electric Propulsion System for New Combat Vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Article

[edit]
    Yes, for some reason, the board is inserting a space in the URL at "archives/ us_army" when it should be "archives/us_army". The space is not there in the original text for the url.

Even just placing the URL on the page as Evan did without the "http://" renders that space, and with the space, it does not work. Must be some sort of obscure bug. :(

If you remove the "%20" that appears where the space is, it works.
    [/edit]

Now, even the Governator can feel like a man in a hybrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to this site.

2. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's excelent, the US armed forces can scatter explosives across the planet in a much greener way while fighting to secure oil for the US vehicle fleet.
    Yippee!

5. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do find it a very sad irony that the military, while trying to do a good and noble thing (be green), is doing it to further its mission of killing people.

"Make coffee, not war" seen on a bumpersticker

7. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 21 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]499903[/snapback]</div>
    You can blame the military for commercial airliners, microwave appliances, most of the advances in surgery, even the roads and bridges you drive on. The space age was started by the German V-2 rocket program.

Face reality, humans are an aggressive lot, and much of our progress is directly a result of military campaigns.

I'm a civil engineer. Why am I called a "civil" engineer? Because military engineers were the first engineers. Survey equipment, for example the transit, was developed to aid in laying down accurate artillery fire. It was then available for civil works. Roads and bridges were built primarily for transport of armies. Much of human progress is tied directly to wars and the needs of war-fighters.

Get over your smug disregard for the military. It is your heritage. Stop denying what you are, and who you are.

Harry

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Aug 21 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]499908[/snapback]</div>
    And you read into my response "smug disregard" how?
    If you aren't saddened a bit by the destruction wrought by wars and the engines of wars, then your heart is stone.

9. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Aug 21 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]499908[/snapback]</div>
    One would assume this vehicle would also have "multi-fuel" capabilities. A Chevy Volt that blows stuff up, cool.

P.S. I helped test one of the first Microwave "field kitchens" while stationed at Natick Labs in the 60's. The thing was powered by what sounded and looked like the turbine from a UH-1.

My "testing" role consisted of going through the chow line about ten times in a row; disposing of this perfectly good grub in the standard GI issue galvanized trash can--without eating any of it. I did manage to sneak a couple of bites and discovered--probably before anyone else I've ever known--that microwaved chicken is REALLY hot on the inside.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 21 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]499915[/snapback]</div>
    Green is just an added benefit. They're doing it to simplify logistics and reduce their vulnerability to supply disruptions. He didn't say that he's pro war, he's just recognizing that most technological advancement (until, perhaps, the last 20 years) was borne of military necessity.

11. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unique??? I guess they have never seen how a mining truck is operated huh?

12. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fred S @ Aug 22 2007, 07:40 AM) [snapback]500209[/snapback]</div>
    Who takes those into combat?

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't have to go into combat, the drive system is used in a civilian mining vehicle, it was used in a civilian vehicle first, we once lived in caves, in the ground, mining trucks are used to dig holes in the ground. Don't deny your heritage!!!

Lets all jump for joy that people died, thousands of people so we could have re-heated frozen food.

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fred S @ Aug 22 2007, 06:40 AM) [snapback]500209[/snapback]</div>
    Or a modern locomotive.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I came to America in the name of artistic freedom (and for the convenience of boil-in-a-bag dinner entrees).

16. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some more advances tied directly to the military:

Maps, mapping, cartography: advances in this field were almost entirely done for military purposes.

GPS: next time you use your nav system, thank the military. Their GPS satellites were put up there for military purposes.

Disc brakes: used on military aircraft.

Turbocharging of piston engines: developed for military aircraft.

Computers: much of the advancement was done for military purposes. Earliest analog computers used for direction of naval gunfire, other warfare purposes.

Helicopters: developed for military purposes, now in wide use for rescue, and other tasks.

Miniturization of electronics: much of the cost paid for by the military, for their needs, and now used by everyone.

Advanced metallurgy: face reality, the earliest metallurgy was done to develop better weapons, like swords.

No, I don't like warfare, or the losses suffered. But scoffing at the military and their development of technology is to deny our history as a species. It is revisionist thinking, done to comply with a political agenda.

I'm sure that are many more advances tied directly to the military that I've missed.

Next time you re-heat left-overs, you can thank the man working on radar, that discovered the heating effect of microwaves. They didn't call the first micro-wave ovens "Radar Range" for nothing.

That's another one, radar. Developed directly for military purposes, it is now used for air safety and weather forecasting. Thank the military for that, too.

Harry

17. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 22 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]500452[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for making my day! I almost injured myself on my superduper ergonomic-costed-my-employer-lots-of-money chair because I was laughing so hard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 22 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]500309[/snapback]</div>
    Almost. Diesel-Electric locos have a direct translation from ICE to Electric motor; there are no batteries. This way they don't have to gear the motor to the drive wheels. Plus, the starting torque is awesome.
    The number of locomotives that have battery storage is very small. Union Pacific has one of the new GE locos that have the 'hybrid' system. The best loco's are electric. If you ever want to see some of the most fascinating locos on rails, go to Switzerland.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the military, never been, never will be, but I would like comment on a few things:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Aug 21 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]499908[/snapback]</div>
    Well put! While I don't agree with war, or fighting, it's still present - even in nature. Humans have become proficient at it with the use of technology.
    It's not the individual serivce-persons fault that OUR elected (yeah, that's questionable, I know) bureaucrats took us into a war. Military technology is what drives invocation forward. It's sometimes sad, but it's a fact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 21 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]499915[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, a post like this seems a bit smug, no offense. Of course they are saddened. Have you ever talked to a service-person? The ones that I have talked to hated having to fire their weapons at kids/people - but it was either kill or be killed. Tough choice, but...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 21 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]499903[/snapback]</div>
    You do realize it isn't for being green? It's so that when a refueling tanker gets blown up, the persons in the field can stay out longer or make it back to safety... Or can run in electric only mode to reduce heat signatures and roam quietly. It has _nothing_ to do with emissions or being green.

18. Topgas

Topgas New Member

Just look at how green the military really is. These guys are doing us all a favor and helping us with population control. Didn't think of that one did you........

19. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 22 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]500294[/snapback]</div>
    That's where you're wrong. This drive system is hardened and rugged-ized for combat use because that's what it's designed for. Reduction in the weight and envelope of the entire drive system, redundancy in the flexible configurations of the drive/steering system, innovations in the power electronics for more throughput and efficiency, etc. make this drive system unique.

20. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Part of my original reason for posting this article was that the way that I see things, if the military gets behind hybrid technology of any kind, the Ahhhnolds of the world just might come to realize that hybrid technology is a good thing rather than peeing all over it because it is not "manly."

IMHO, it is unfortunate that people like the Ahhhnolds of the world may need something like this to make them realize that hybrid technology is a good thing, however, it seems, in cases like this, that that type of person is a follower rather than a leader. The military uses humvees, therefore, it is "manly." Therefore, every real "man" must buy a humvee or he is not manly. So, by association, now hybrids are being used by the military, so hybrids are manly, and now every real "man" will have to have a hybrid or he is not "manly."

Pretty stupid, IMHO. Rather than understand the science behind it, the Ahhhnolds follow the fads of the world like lemmings.

So, the taste of war in my mouth is not great, but I am hoping this adoption of the technology furthers the hybrid cause.