1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US College football

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Jan 1, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Georgia and Oklahoma are putting on quite a show in Pasadena. If Clemson and Alabama can come close to that, next weeks' Galactic Championship Game will be a lot of fun.

What I most enjoy about College Championships is that most participants won't go to pro sports. Instead, these people will do something entirely different with their lives. But they will always have their memories...

huskers and Montgomery like this.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And hopefully no concussions, yes, the energy Level is much higher in the younger men.
    The sooner we transition to soccer the better, no more 1 1/2 year life cycle of tremendous athletes.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I respect soccer (global football) for its athleticism and large spatial strategies. That said, US 'football' will not soon relinquish.

4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got hooked on College football about 25 years ago. I like the stories of guys who come from poor neighborhoods and wind up on national TV hugging each other with tears streaming down their faces!! Young men who didn't see themselves as important now seeing themselves as capable giving people. Yes, there always is bad stories. One of which in my opinion, is the biggest comback story in sports history...the fall of Penn State.............and their return. That program had to come back from the most terrible, obscene and embarassing of circumstances. The whole Athletic program was decimated. 4 years later, they are again a respected program. No other sports organization has come back from being ripped to the core with such horrible issues, and with belief in people, and humanity, come back in the way Penn State has!
    Many colleges get ripped for taking bribes, drugs and prostitutes, and take 7 to 8 years to come back. Penn State was revealed and exposed for the most terrible of crimes, and came back in 4. All the people who caused the fall are gone. Then, the school had to start over from scratch. It is simply amazing. I am very happy the school came back. It shows all of us that good will always triumph over evil.

Raytheeagle and tochatihu like this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In a past perhaps beyond memory, college sports were to develop well-rounded individuals. Further perhaps to forge friendships different from those from classrooms. A lofty goal; one that did not first bridge trivial skin-color or economic-prior differences. But later it has, or at least I wish to think so.

==
    Now at halftime; AL 10 Clem 3. Which of those teams' players are getting right now a better speech from coach? All will be revealed.

==
    This college sport has become a different thing; a money/media thing. How much of its original goals have survived?

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As a Penn State grad I am proud of the university and the football team embodies the values and virtues of the university. We Are Penn State.

This is James Franklin’s dream job and he seems very happy and content.

I’ve been to several games at Beaver stadium and there is nothing like a white out and 111 k fans cheering on the Blue and White:).

Best game I went to was the game we got revenge on Nebraska and beat them soundly 41-7(y).

Montgomery likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So, the spectators have gone to their cars and it's GA v. AL in a week.

OK was respectable in losing. Clemson kicked a couple.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Spectacle. Bread and circuses. Damaged bodies and minds. This from someone who went to class with a Heisman winner and several other later pros and who. in the '60s, never missed a game in 4 years even if I had to go stand on a classroom radiator to thaw my frozen feet out at halftime.

I'm tired of watching them cut to commercial while someone is being carted off the field. And of the number of "internal rules violations" and crimes that have affected so many.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK/GA double overtime game was fun to watch. Too bad one side had to lose. Must have been exciting to be there in person.

Mark57 likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After seeing the antics in the 'pros' both college games were a wonderful example of how 4 teams with much at stake can play hard and mostly clean. Most of the flags I saw were for technical infractions rather than personal jerkery.
    What a contrast!

I'll be pulling for the dawgs (figuratively and literally) albeit quietly.

Expect the BCS to expand further.....not because of the perennial wailing from SEC haters and the teams that are consistently 'not quiiiiiite good enough' (I'm looking at YOU Ohio....)....but rather because (a) unlike the NFL, college ball is getting MORE popular and (b) there's gold in them thair hills!
    Besides.....it would give Cinderella a 'statistical' chance to Uber home after closing down the ball instead of using the pumpkin.....

11. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a blast. I was also there in 2003 when we played Washington.

20180101_130836.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Betcha the tickets weren't cheap.

I wonder how the ticket prices and attendance will compare with another playoff game in the area??? ;)

13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Man, that game had to tear you emotionally up and down.

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They were included our package. If I'd wanted 50 yard line, I had to add $850 EACH. Note, in that stadium, the 50 yard line seats are farther back than where my goal line seats were. Just like in the Sugar Bowl. I only paid $50 extra to get out of the end zone. We were on row 67 and they were very good seats. We stayed at the Loews in Santa Monica right above the original muscle beach. All transportation to all events and to the game, hotel, LA Live New Years, Rose Bowl Parade grandstand seats right at the beginning, charter non-stop air, Boomer Bash pregame (unlimited food, beer, etc.), and airfare was included, plus lots of other stuff too numerous to mention. Two people $5,910.00.

I hated not wining, but I'm proud of them. If you're going to loose, that's not a bad way to do it. I've had season tickets since 1982. Been to many a Nebraska game. Wish we still played you guys. ;)

#14 Mark57, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have every right to be!

Mark57 likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Georgia woke up in 2nd quarter and Alabama now has in 3rd.

Must be nice to actually see these events.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Boom. Dawg.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    College football champ to be decided in overtime. Both teams emotional, exhausted and in pain. Don't get no better than this...

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats to Bama!

They wanted it more and they were luckier when it counted.
    Fromm (Dawgs QB) was veeeeery impressive as was Tagovailoa.......both true freshmen if I'm remembering correctly.
    We'll be seeing them in the bigs if they can stay healthy - something that will be easier for Fromm since Tagovailoa seems to be utterly fearless.
    I would have been happy had the Dawgs won, but in the end I'm just glad that it was a great game without quite as much of the peacockery that you see in the bigs these days.

Pends....

They can lead to some late nights if you're in GMT-5 and have to peck with the chickens the next day.

Sometimes?
    It's worth it. ;)

20. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't sports ball. I was watching MSNBC through the whole game and only knew the result when I saw it in the news this morning.