1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US / Europe Nav DVD - no voice guidance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vancouverron, Nov 20, 2005.

1. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

2005 Prius with Nav package.

After only 7 months in the Bay Area, we got transferred to Europe for a (pre-defined) two years. Of course, the Prius got shipped. Trust me, after having my wife being the navigator, with laptop on her lap and Garmin GPS lying on the dash, I was really really motivated to get the European DVD. Turns out this was more difficult than anticipated, but finally I did get a more or less working version.

The "more or less" part is where I could use some help:
    The navigation part (map display, turn information ahead, etc.) works great - just like the US version. Route calculation is also very similar, with a choice of three different routes, ... - all as expected. However, there are no voice commands. Total silence. Interestingly enough, when I input a new route, and then switch to the US DVD, the voice prompts start ("please proceed to ..."). Of course, the display only shows Lat/Lon, since no chart info is available.

Looking at the two DVD's I found some differences as follows:

US DVD: (version 04.05.01)

directories: "Coverage" and "IDX"
    files in root directory:

ALLDATA.KWI
    COVERAGE.TXT
    DICVCE56.KWI
    INDEXDAT.KWI
    LOADING.KWI
    METADATA.KWI
    SPEC.KWI
    VERSION.TXT
    VIRUAL0.DAT
    VERTUAL1.DAT

European DVD (Aisin 2004-2005 version 04.00.08)

directories: "206", "214", "BMP", "IDX"
    The 206 and 214 directories contain one .bin file each.

files in root directory:
    00.VNS
    ALLDATA.KWI
    COVERAGE.TXT
    DICVCE56.KWI
    DUMY0E.KWI
    DUMY1E.KWI
    DUMY1S.KWI
    INDEXDAT.KWI
    LOADING.KWI
    VERSION.TXT
    VOICEDAT.KWI

Any thoughts on what to hack (bios/flash, European DVD) to get the voice prompts?

2. aaparkr

aaparkr Junior Member

I wonder if the language might be a problem. I know I was glad to find a volume control on the voice (a little louder than I prefer). It seems like my US system has English or French. Maybe there isn't an English choice on the european DVD, or it isn't selected?.

Tony

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I bet it is one of the LOADING settings in the diagnostic screen that also has the speed defeat. If you can get access to a Europe native Prius and get to the diagnostic screen, you can compare the setting.

If you get it wrong though, you'll have to reset the NAV by pulling it out and trying the button inside, or pulling its backup power for a while.

4. bozebuurman

bozebuurman New Member

The European version has voice-commands in English and German.

5. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

This is not the same as mine, recently supplied with a 2005 Prius. The DVD is Europe 2004-5 (Version 2.0). It doesn't cover every country in Europe, and not every country is fully covered.
    [snapback]160388[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Actually, this IS the same disk - on the disk itself it says 2004-2005 version 2.
    Part Numbers on the disk:
    86271-64012
    86271-60V542

The "version 04.00.08" is what is listed on the screen when you go into the diagnostic mode ("Navi Menu, Disk information").

6. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

DanMan32, how do you get to the LOADING settings? I got to the diags ok, but only two levels worth... I do have the manual(s), but could not find any reference to LOADING. BTW, found an inconsistency in the manuals: To exit diags, pg. 05-1770 says press "info" for 3 secs (does not work). Pg. 05-1888 says press "Display" for 3 secs (have not checked this out yet).

7. krigasste

krigasste New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you tell me how/where you were able to get the DVD? We're moving next month and faced with the same dilemma.

Thanks

8. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A