1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US News Ranking of Hybrid Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 12, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Best Cars for the Money Awards 2015 | U.S. News Best Cars

Source: 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

Well done, Camry.

Bob Wilson

2. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice read, and pretty accurate. One thing nice is that amongst all of the hybrid sedans, they are all remarkably different. Of all the ones I've driven, the Camry hybrid tests are the only ones I've read that match my experiences. After being in a long trip in the Accord hybrid, I read the CU test and wondered what the heck car they drove.

Our 2007 Camry hybrid has been remarkably dependable over 115,000 miles, requiring only a water pump to be replaced, normal for this model and a lot of cars. Driving the new model was a treat, it felt lighter, nimbler, more comfortable and luxurious. But the numb steering and the ride are in fact the only two features that make it not that much fun, but that's a Toyota trait not specifically the hybrid.

But it's still amazing that we can now talk about full size sedans that achieve at least 40 mpg average. My 2011 Camry 4-banger almost always averaged 28 mpg, mostly highway, with long trips being in the 30-32 range. I just wonder when Toyota will be ready to upgrade the battery and tweak the hybrid system in the Camry hybrid.

3. dullwait

dullwait New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Chevy Volt
    nice post man :)
    enjoyed the read!

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just gotta speak out and say something about the Camry / Hybrid, the 2015 model and earlier ones as well.
    First off, Camry is not regarded as a full size car, that would be the Avalon. Camry is a widely known as a 'midsize sedan'.

Secondly, at least in CA, the 2015 Camry Hybrids are priced very high. The base model is $28,500 dressed in plastic wheelcovers, blech.
    The next model up, the SE Hybrid no less than $31,300 sticker price. XLE hybrid is mostly packaged at $34k and above.

I'm 6'2" on the money and I have sat right up in that driver's seat and the headroom is unacceptable and the seat cushions are SMALL and not supportive enough. Sitting up reasonably in the passenger seat, my head just about hits the (sun)roof. Couple of better front seats would solve these probs. Camry without sunroof would be better though, but still sucky front seats. Sad. No Camry hybrid here, so if Prius gets crunched, it'll probably be a conventional Accord. Not that I'm burnin' to buy one of those either.
    There needs to be better alternative fuel vehicles offered or we'll continue to see the 5% ish total market share.

From Edmunds 2015 Camry Road Test. Some rare reviewers pick up on details -

Bingo, just like I said::

"Although the driver seat could use some additional under-thigh support, the backseat remains one of the most spacious in the segment, with abundant leg- and headroom for 6-footers and an open greenhouse that doesn't make your aft passengers feel claustrophobic"

* Camry creates quite a bit of rear headroom by putting fair amount of lean in the rear seat.

#4 cycledrum, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015