1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US production of the Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by chanterelle, Oct 15, 2004.

1. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In the LA Times today, an article mentions that Toyota might build some hybrid vehicles in the US, and mentions either the Indiana or Kentucky plants as the most likely locations.

That would speed up production, but do you think quality would suffer? Others have mentioned that other quality "Import" cars quickly went downhill after they started building them here.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Why should quality suffer? Aren't Camrys made in the US?

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle\";p=\"45319)</div>
    There was an interview in Green Car Journal, with some honcho from the Sierra Club (whose name I forget). According to the Sierra Club, normally very critical of US Auto policy, there is no inherent problem with American technology and quality, IF the CEO's bite the bullet and get over their trepidation about competing with the Japanese. One reason the Big 3 make mediocre big cars is because they are afraid to attempt to compete with the Japanese in fuel efficient small and medium size cars.....meanwhile, the Japanese, unafraid of competition, are making inroads in the "large car" market.
    In other words, a Toyota made in the US would be/could be of equal quality to any Toyota made in Japan. The problem is not the American worker, it's the management. Unless the Big 3 get over this self-defeating mindset, they will soon be out of business.
    Bob
    p.s. The cost of an American made Prius might come down slightly if they need not be shipped from Japan.

4. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    American made Toyota's are good. My wife's 2003 Corolla, which was made at the NUMMI plant in California has been totally trouble-free. I agree that it is a management problem with US car makers. It may also be an engineering problem, as I don't think they pay attention to all the fine details like the Japanese and Koreans do.

5. Joel

Joel New Member

The Toyota quality control methodologies are the same world wide - Japan or USA - Toyota is good at this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chanterelle\";p=\"45319)</div>

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the reason why american built car quality suffers is because money is the primary concern.

if quality was more important to american car manufacturers then they would have a better product. they have more than enough ability and technical know-how to do it.

Question: what is the determining factor on whether or now a major manufacturing defect is issued a recall?

Answer: if and only if it is determined by the legal department that the cost of lawsuit and out of court settlements resulting from injuries from the defect will exceed the cost of the recall.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let me put it like this:

I'm more at-ease buying a car that's actually assembled in Japan, than a car assembled anywhere else in the world.

Dave

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG\";p=\"45586)</div>
    Again, Camrys and Corollas are assembled in the US. Maybe other members know where the Celicas, Echos, etc. are assempbled (I bet it's not in Japan). Your statement impies that Americans are incapable or unwilling to assemble a car with the same care as the Japanese.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wrong...

the fact is that quality parts are tougher to come by in the US

10. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I know that the Echo is produced in Japan, however, the European version is produced in France.
    I had the chance to take a tour through the Bodine Aluminum casting plant outside of St. Louis where they cast a lot of the parts for the Camry - oil pans, pistons, engine blocks, etc. The attention to quality was amazing. The place was obviously directed by Toyota's quality system (they are a subsidiary). It can be done here, as it can be done anywhere. American workers are just as capable as workers elsewhere in the world. They just have to be given the right environment.

11. Joel

Joel New Member

Do you mean that American made items, in general, are of lesser quality that Japanese made? Or do you mean that the American assembled Toyotas are of lesser quality than the Japanese assembled? If so, can you give an example?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"45647)</div>

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well hopefully the learning curve has straightened out. i read an article about 3-4 years ago(could have been longer) that detailed the fact that american built toyotas had more manufacturers defects than japanese built cars.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well seeing as Toyota is considering building the technically challenging Prius in the US tells me that quality problems maybe behind them.

14. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"45636)</div>
    I don't recall mentioning Americans anywhere in my post. My statement applies equally to any country that's not Japan. Canada, the US, Germans, Italians, etc.

Make of it what you will.

Dave.

15. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

I for one would certainly be as willing to buy a Prius made in
    the United States as one made in China.

Robert

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model: