1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US told to go green on carbon emissions or lose EU flights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Apr 14, 2008.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "US airlines must pay for their carbon dioxide emissions or face a curb on flights to the European Union, the EU transport commissioner warned yesterday."

"The green ultimatum was issued by Jacques Barrot as the transatlantic airline market undergoes its biggest shakeup in 30 years when limits on flights between the EU and US are lifted this month. Barrot said negotiations on a second phase for the treaty will include a demand that US carriers join the EU emissions trading scheme or an equivalent system in the US."

US told to go green on carbon emissions or lose EU flights | Environment | The Guardian

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly who is supposed to get this money? what are they going to do with it? What oversight is there?

Call it the "Carbon Tariff", that's what it really is.

So fewer flights to the EU, big loss. As long as the Europeans can get here and spend thoae sweet Euros! LOL

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As our economic clout continues to wane, I suspect that we'll be seeing other such instances of how our lack of environmental policy is actually BAD for business.

If the USA doesn't get its act together soon, we will be at the mercy of countries who don't necessarily have our best interests at heart. Actually, I think we may have begun down that slippery slope already, but just aren't admitting it to ourselves yet.

Whatever...I just LOVE that new flat screen TV I bought with my stimulus check (plus a bit extra that I had to charge).

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't matter, we've had little say about it since we bailed on Kyoto, and in any case, what are we going to do? Drop a bomb on them? (GWB: that's only a joke).

We're simply not in a position of strength, and I suspect that any repercussions of isolationism in the airline industry will damage struggling domestic airlines, much more than those overseas.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to the day when I can fly British Airlines from SF to NY.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My prediction: The U.S. carriers will buy carbon credits. They can ill-afford to lose the routes.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except our terrorist paranoia is making it a hassle for them to get into the country to spend those euros and yens. Foreign tourism is down.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fewer flights to the EU.... big deal. I went to Spain to visit my sister a year and a half ago - If i did the same trip today, it'd cost me nearly double what it did then. The dollar is just to weak to make trips like that affordable.