1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

US Toyota Recalls a Gov't Backed Conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rokeby, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A different perspective:

Some Japanese and Korean auto execs apparently think so, although
    they are reluctant to say it in public:

What's Behind the Toyota Bashing?

Feb. 12, 2010 (EIRNS)—Japanese and U.S. sources have indicated to
    EIR that the Toyota recall of millions of cars (mostly in the U.S.A.),
    and the massive media campaign to demonize Toyota, may be at least
    in part the result of a conscious effort to undermine, or even destroy,
    Toyota's U.S. operations, for refusing to support efforts to bailout
    worthless debt instruments. Japanese sources said that it was widely
    believed by knowledgeable people in Japan that there is an effort to
    undermine Toyota, but that the Japanese press won't report it...

The message that Washington wants to send through the Toyota recall
    crisis is that other companies could also be put into such a quandary.
    The U.S. government wants its trading partners to heed the warning.

More here.

While I can concede this might be the case, I just can't get my mind
    around the idea that our Government would do this.

I have to wonder if this topic is on the agenda for the upcoming
    Congressional media circus/ hearing... talk about a "smoking gun!"
    But just who would open this can of worms? Not Toyota, not the
    Committee members, not the media... then who?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our government is not organized enough to run a conspiracy.

Tom

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think that thought process is one of the main reasons for the toyota debacle. Do you really think the government could really manage to do that? And why would the media jump on board? Patriotism? Get real.

I do think the timing for Toyota could not be worse. The public at large is beginning to piece together how they have been had with Wall Street's 'free-trade', and the relationship with the destruction of the US middle class. The potential for the partial destruction of Toyota in the US exists, all of the stars would have to be in alignment for this recall mess to mushroom into something that large.

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you perhaps mean "...is NOT organized enough to run a conspiracy."? That I would agree with.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, and I'm NOT organized enough to type a simple sarcastic comment. Thanks for the correction. I have edited my post.

Tom

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh for heavens sake! When I edited my post, I got the words in the wrong order: "Our government not is organized..."

I must need more coffee this morning. :mad:

Tom

7. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Yes!

and

The US media doesn't report the news anymore they sensationalize everything.

What do you think?

Who killed President Kennedy, not the shooter but who was behind it?

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So the NHTSA under two different administation has let Toyota slide just so eventually they would hang themsleves? They encouraged former employees to be bought by toyota? the trooper incident in San Diego was all faked, as was the four people in Dallas? How about the retiree in Flint, staged too?
    I agree with the your assessment of the media,I think they have much pent-up aggression with toyota.

You are drawing a comparison with the toytoa mess and the assasination of a US president?

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This has been brought up by a fair number of my customers who think it is the US government stirring trouble for Toyota. Why? Well, the US governement want some return on the billions of dollars they've invested in GM.

Many many cars have been recalled before, Vauxhall/Opel (Europe GM) included, yet why so much bad press about Toyota? I've started to smell a rat and it appears some of the UK public are beginning to also.

It's just too coincidental that GM is still losing money big time, despite the billions thrown at it and then all of a sudden Toyota (previously known for their reliable cars) becomes the baddy. Sales drop and GM sales improve. hmmmm

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    USA society has a long history of 'humbling the proud.' Exhibit A - supermarket tabloids. We all but revel every time someone rich or famous is found to have done (or reported) something wrong. Exhibit B - impeachment of Bill Clinton.

Toyota had achieved a halo of quality. Sad to say, having the vast majority of the Toyota fleet, almost every model, being subject to a safety recall throws a little dirt on that halo. It is the paparazzi effect although Toyota's competition is not above schadenfreude. But the long term effects are likely to be even more devastating to their 'honorable competition.'

The Prius brake pause is being corrected by what was probably a manufacturing fix already in the pipeline. The rapid application of A0B along with the accelerator fix of the other models will soon move these stories to the back pages. Still, I look forward to the Toyota press release announcing progress but have no expectations it will receive much coverage ... unless it comes out in Congressional hearings.

I can think of nothing more fitting than a Toyota executive having the rate of fix application for any snarky Congressional question:
    "Congressman, as of yesterday, we have had the fastest rate of recall compliance ever seen. The Prius brake fix now stands at xx% and the accelerator fix at yy%. At this rate, we anticipate nearly full compliance within z weeks."

"This rapid application of these safety repairs is due in no small part to the excellent news coverage by ABC, CNN, and the LA Times who have given us nearly unlimited coverage to help get our customers to bring in their vehicles. Toyota could not have afforded the coverage they gave us."
    So I'm reminded of the old saying, "Even paranoids have enemies." The safety recalls are based upon empirical data even though the actual impacts are relatively small. The press coverage in one respect was excessive, bordering on hysteria, BUT it may have accelerated the rate ordinary owners brought their vehicles back for the fix. The counter stroke would be a requirement that safety recall compliance must achieve say 80% compliance within say three months. After all, the famous misstatement:
    Imagine what this would do to Toyota's 'honorable competition' ... especially if they have to pay for the press coverage and public announcements.

Bob Wilson

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow do some of you have your head in the sand. The toyota recall timeline will come out at the hearings. this mess goes back long before the GM problems.

12. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [Introduction: I am not a conspiracy theorist, but some actual and large-scale conspiracies have taken place and their origins kept from public view.]

"Our government is not organized enough to run a conspiracy" is a strong undercurrent running through these posts. And, I heartily agree that the govt at large isn't organized enough to do so.

However, the lead actions need come only from a few administrative agencies which are small vs the overall government -- they are not agencies which span, say, a broad swath of the Administrative (Presidential) and Congressional branches of govt.

In turn, they help light, and then fan, the flames, particularly by providing "inside" information to hungry journalists.

A handfull of high-level individuals from a few select agencies could stir the pot enough to get the feeding frenzy going, without broad Administrative Branch or Congressional knowledge. And, this kind of action is not without precedent.

To take a rather large and complex example, which was kept bottled up for a long while despite its cost and scope -- it was years before the American public realized that the U.S. was spending billions of dollars on equipment -- and was committing considerable manpower "on the ground" (largely "contract" employees, that is, mercenaries -- but also some CIA operatives) -- to help the Afgan rebels fight the USSR. Think -- providing & training in stinger missiles and other modern equipment, communications, running phased-array radar, training in modern military tactics, and much more.

It did come out eventually, partly because of the immense pride some in the govt took in the role that action had in bringing down the USSR.

But it was covert for quite a while because the project was confined to a relatively small number of govt agencies.

And yes, there are failures at it too -- think Watergate. But had the Watergate actions been performed by the kinds of "contract employees" used in places like Afganistan, they would not have been caught or even suspected.

I am NOT saying the feeding frenzy (which the Toyota situation has come to be) is a govt organized or initiated conspiracy.

I'm simply saying that while the whole govt isn't that organized, small groups at a few agencies can be that organized -- and use their influence to suck many others into the process. How much of that is happening in the Toyota situation we just can't tell.

And, as others have observed, it doesn't take much to get the media into attack mode.

Now .... what's that black helicopter doing over my house ??? !!!

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True, true...we all know that governments are easily capable of treachery and organized nastiness. I was making a sarcastic, humorous dig at our stupid, self-serving politicians.

Once again I forgot to use my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] flags. I'll try to do better next time.

Darn it, I went and forgot to use them *again*.

Tom

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then explain THIS!!
    [​IMG]

15. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here come the conspiracy goons. Now we will all be required to wear aluminum foil hats on our heads as we drive our Priis down the road.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't we all just getting tired of inuendo and accusation on both sides?

Government Conspiracy? -Show me proof.

Flawed Electronics in Toyota's?-Show me proof.

Otherwise I'm just tired of inuendo and half accusations. Both damning of Toyota and/or accusatorial towards the US Government.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't already? Do you realize *how* much stray EMF there is on the inside of a Prius?!?

:tinfoil3:

Tom

18. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, we have a leak here and need to deny everything going forward. I suspect we have someone not wearing the foil head cover.

19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

We should be doing that already! Stops them (they know who they are!) from reading your thoughts. :D:eek::rolleyes:

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Everybody knows that was filmed in an old GM warehouse.