1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USA-CDN Price Difference

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MrBond, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MrBond

MrBond New Member

I recently noticed the base price of a Prius in Canada is $9555 higher compared to the USA price. By comparisson, the Honda Civic Hybrid base price in Canada is only $3650 higher than the USA price. If my calculations are correct, that's roughly a 44% increase for Toyota and a 16% increase for Honda. Does anyone know how Toyota justifies such a large difference in price? (I know that the Canadian dollar isn't worth as much as the US dollar, but this is ridiculous :blink:).

Something else I noticed that was strange. In the USA a Civic Hybrid is more expensive than a Prius (by $425 us). However, in Canada a Prius is more expenisive than a Civic Hybrid (by $5480 cdn).

For your reference:
    Prius price: $21725 us, $31280 cdn
    Civic Hybrid price: $22150 us, $25800 cdn

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

So you noticed that were getting screwed. Yup same car, well we get mandatory DRL's other than that the same. You get to blame Toyota Canada for the shafting.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is a little outrageous... The current exchange rate is, according to the bank of canada, 1.1588 canadian dollars per US dollar. Thus, 21725USD = 25173CND, or for the Civic 22150USD = 25667CND.

Are you absolutely positive that is the base price for the Prius? I really can't see Toyota having a markup of 5K for no reason.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that is the Canadian base price.
    Edit: there sitting on dealer lots here and lots of used ones as well, figure out why yet? Hopefully Honda burys them on sales, but T doesn't care if they don't sell here they'll send the output to the US.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    except that according to Toyota, the exchange rate is 1.5%. I'm amazed they raised the price even though Honda lowered theirs.

6. MrBond

MrBond New Member

You were able to sum up my post into three words; well done :D

When comparing the Canadian prices of the Civic Hybrid and Prius, I was initially willing to pay the extra money because I had my heart set on a Prius and I assumed it cost more because it was a superior car. But now that I realize that the purpose of the higher price has nothing to do with quality (and a lot to to with corporate greed) I highly doubt that I'm going to purchase a Prius. Those capitalist pigs :angry: ...

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    import? You can get a US #8 with nav, bluetooth, backup camera and leather for the price of a Pkg "B"