1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USA TODAY 5/17 article on stalling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by filiberti, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I read article today in money section of USA Today that Toyota investigating Prius stalling on highway ....13 complaints

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

3. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(filiberti\";p=\"90214)</div>

Okay, I now know what this is referring to, the USA Today article cuts out the clues to the mystery. The CNN article gives us the clues we needed. My brother has one of the early '04 models. His gave some warning lights and he drove it to the dealer. There is a TSB out to these owners of a need to come into the dealer and have the software upgrade done. My brother and I were on cells together in our cars when his gave the error messages, which did not correspond to the owners manual.

The dealer did the TSB, end of problem. This isn't any biggie. But, by cutting out those details, the story is made to sound much worse than it is. Typical yellow journalism of the 21st Century media.

5. heliotropehead

I have a 2005 and have just under 10,000 miles on my car, most of which were acquired at highway speeds. No problems to speak of.

Congrats on your purchase! :)

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sean & Ian\";p=\"90228)</div>
    We believe these two updates already available (SSC-40A & LSC-40E) prevent some (or all) of those problems reports.

In other words, this is yet another case of the popular media jumping on the "hype" bandwagon for hybrids without fully researching what they are publishing. In fact, we even have a little bit of proof. They stated there were 13 reports. In reality, there were actually 14 but 3 of them would duplicates. That works out to 11, clearly pointing out their failure to verify accuracy. (It only took me a few minutes to check the facts by searching on the NHTSA website.)

And no, I haven't had a lick of trouble in almost 34,000 miles of driving my 2004 Prius.

7. heliotropehead

John, how can I find out if my Prius needs any updates? Thanks!

8. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"90233)</div>
    We believe this two updates already available (SSC-40A& LSC-40E) prevent some (or all) of those problems reports.

In other words, this is yet another case of the popular media jumping on the "hype" bandwagon for hybrids without fully researching what they are publishing. In fact, we even have a little bit of proof. They stated there were 13 reports. In reality, there were actually 14 but 3 of them would duplicates. That works out to 11, clearly pointing out their failure to verify accuracy. (It only took me a few minutes to check the facts by searching on the NHTSA website.)

And no, I haven't had a lick of trouble in almost 34,000 miles of driving my 2004 Prius.
    [/b][/quote]

Well put, this is the usual media overhyping of a problem. Unfortunately, there will be a percentage of the public that will walk around thinking that "stalling" is a problem and that you can flush a full sized Quran down the toilet. That last bit of idiocy has resulted in worldwide rioting in the Muslim world.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Contact your dealer.

With all this attention being put on getting Prius updates *BEFORE* experiencing a problem, they should be well prepared to answer your questions about what's needed.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.