1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USA Today: Hybrid, 'green' rental cars cost more, are hard to find

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-01-18-hybrid-rental-cars_N.htm
    This doesn't come as a surprise to me. I've in the past asked how much more it would be to rent a Prius or other hybrid and it was far more than the econoboxes I usually rent.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I rented, at the gas price peak, the agent tried very hard to upsell us to a Prius. After several price reductions, with the lowest offer still triple our expected gas savings over 1500 miles, he gave up and directed us to 'any car in the Compact section'.

Sitting squarely under the 'Compact' sign was a Prius.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOL!

My company has recently moved to the Prius as company cars and fleet vehicles. We will soon work on a negotiated price for Prius rentals. I'm not really sure how well that will go considering they are hard to get in the first place. But hopefully the next time the rental place looks as getting new cars they will get more Prii.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lucky... rental car agencies (esp. Avis who I've had to use for business) seem to be in the size inflation game. They'all call a Hyundai Elantra "mid-sized" IIRC. Hyundai Sonatas and Nissan Altimas are "full sized".

Here we go, I found a list at Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class) - FlyerTalk Forums. Way too funny... supposedly a Corolla is "intermediate".