1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB 4-port hub breaks iPod integration - help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusnjguy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. priusnjguy

priusnjguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

I have a 2010 Prius IV with the navigation package which includes the single USB port. I plug my iPod classic into the USB port and it works great, allowing me to pick songs from the nav display while keeping it charged.

Problem is I want another USB port to charge my phone, bluetooth headset, etc..

I've tried a rocketfish 4-port USB hub but had a big problem.

Everything powers fine, but the iPod integration through the nav display is lost. I need that so I don't have to fiddle with the iPod while I am driving.

So...anyone know of a USB hub that I can use that will keep my iPod integration working while still allowing multiple devices to be plugged in and charged?

Thanks much!!

Phil

2. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not surprised the HU has trouble with a [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub[/ame]. Basically if you add in a hub your basically creating a usb network. The nav will then see all those devices instead of the 1 device it was probably designed to work against.

Instead of hub maybe you may want to simply try using a 2 or 4 port usb car charger. Use it to charge the devices that you need to charge and save the usb/aux port for the device you want to play music from on the HU.

3. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may be a power issue. Nominally, you get a max of 400 mA current at 5V from a primary USB port. A hub just makes that current available to more USB devices. If the total load exceeds what the port can put out, it's a problem.

If all you want to do is charge your phone, get something that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Those don't necessarily include a current limiter, so you may be able to charge multiple devices on one of them with no problem.

4. Priusrage

Priusrage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 You can just get a usb hub that plugs into the 12v power next to the usb port in the consol

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This likely can be done - you just need the magic hub that works. Similar issues occur on the Pioneer Z devices (I think most everyone has some type of Windows CE down low - this likely has something to do with that).

Here's the synopsis from AVIC411.com - you can read more here:
    Using USB Hub to play Ipod/Iphone and USB drive together - AVIC411.com

Hello Folks,
    I got some time this week to test USB hub with Z110.
    I tried 2 different USB hubs. One i had lying around for some time which is USB 1.1 and i bought another one with USB 2.0 to test if it works.
    I will post pictures tonight once i'm home.
    Following are my finding with different situations.
    NOTE1: Make sure you have both icon USB and ipod on shortcut and test it from there. As I don't have pioneer cable i don't about video from Iphone. I only tested for Music.

Micro innovations USB 1.1 4 port Hub
    1. Connect Iphone first and then USB drive
    - Both Works 100% time. Iphone charges all time
    2. Connect USB drive first and then Iphone
    - USB icon disables and Ipod icon activates
    - USB does not work, Iphone music works and charges
    3. Both usb drive and iphone connected to hub and Z110 boots
    -Result same as 2
    4. Only Iphone connected to Hub
    -It works 100%. Music plays and Iphone charges
    5. Only USB drive connected to Hub
    - It works 100%

IHome USB 2.0 4 port Hub with mini usb as input, Optional split cable for external power source

1. Connect Iphone first and then USB drive
    - Both iphone and usb works.
    But iphone gives warning that accessory is not compatible and does not charge
    2. Connect USB drive first and then Iphone
    - USB icon disables and Ipod icon activates, Iphone gives warning and does not charge
    - USB does not work, Iphone music works
    3. Both usb drive and iphone connected to hub and Z110 boots
    -Result same as 2
    4. Only Iphone connected to Hub
    -Iphone gives warning and does not charge but music works.
    5. Only USB drive connected to Hub
    - It works 100%

Belkin swivel USB 2.0 4 port Hub

-- Same results as iHome hub.

I also noticed that when using USB 2.0 hub z110 remembers it in memory(If not power down) and even if you disconnect USB or Iphone, Icons does not disables all the time.
    I suspect mini usb as input for USB 2.0 Hub for iphone not charging. But i have to test it further with Single cable regular USB as input. If you get confuse reading this don't worry pictures will clear what i'm talking about.
    I'm giving up on usb 2.0 hubs but before that i wanna make sure with iphone compatible hub since only charging is having problem with usb 2.0 hubs.

Update
    Tried four other hubs and 2 passed with flying colors. At least with stock charger cable.
    I just bought CD-iu50v from eBay and charging Iphone with usb hub doesn't work with it no matter which one i used.
    But it does play music and video through iphone on z110 with usb hub.

Following 2 hubs worked with Stock usb charging cable that came with iphone and usb drive and i used Aux cable to listent to music, No video though. If used pioneer cable music and video works as well as usb drive plays everything but iphone charging does not work.

1 person likes this.