1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB and battery monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tomek310, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the usb is only powered when the car is on correct? that voltage reading is not that helpful.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking apart the dash is not too hard, you just have to remove two bolts with a screwdriver on the left of the car and then pull out the leftmost vent and then work your way right loosening panels. Look on youtube for tutorials on how to replace the Prius' CD player and it will become clear how to reach different parts of the dash. I don't think it would be hard to put where the little storage bin is below the CD player if you're comfortable cutting a little plastic. For power, I'd most likely tap into the ACC power - this has a 25A fuse that feeds a 15A fuse for the front cigarette lighter and a 7.5A fuse for the dash display (IIRC this is called "combination meter"). You can tap it from the fuse panel underneath the driver's side dash. I'd put a 5A fuse on the USB and battery monitor to protect the car in case it ever fails. In my Prius, I have a cigarette lighter plug and a USB adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter tapped at this same point similarly. I have the whole thing hidden behind the dash with just the micro-usb connector coming out exactly where I plug in my phone.

I agree that it's not too useful to have a battery voltage reading constantly. Checking the battery with a voltmeter every time you change the oil would be sufficient.

Also be aware that the USB ports on cheap electronics can wear out really quickly. I've never had a USB port on a cigarette lighter charger not wear out in less than a year if I used it regularly. Know that if you use the ports on it a lot, you'll like need to replace it in a year or two

#3 Kevin_Denver, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Tomek310 likes this.
  4. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is useful to show you the battery's condition. I had a civic once and after hard-wiring a radar detector I somehow misplaced the alternator fuse so while I was driving the battery wasnt getting a charge and I ended up getting stranded on the road. If I had a battery gauge I would have noticed that my battery is not getting a charge and probably would be able to avoid the incident.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd think so, but after having had a voltmeter (temporarily) in my car for a long time (which I never intended to do), it does show some interesting information.

I initially installed it temporarily (plugs into the aux socket in the center console) when my 12 V battery was heading south. On this battery I could see the voltage dragged way down into the 10 V range on start up and in READY it only ever showed 14.0-14.4 V. It also quickly showed the battery was not holding a charge, but this was also pretty evident as soon as the battery was disconnected from the battery charger.

Since I installed my new battery I see that it is better than 75% charged most of the time and I can sit in the car in ACC mode for a good long time (2-3 hours) without it getting flat.

I also see, in READY, if my battery needs an external charge by the fact that it will sit at 14+ V. I can also see when it is a fairly well charged state by the voltage in READY at (or dropping to) 13.2-13.5 during a drive. I very seldom see the voltage go above 14.1 V nowadays.

I still have the voltmeter (temporarily) installed, as I find the extra info interesting and useful.

7. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or instead of slicing up your center console pocket, you could fit something like this into one of the blank switch holes to the left of the steering wheel... Which I thought was perfect since I keep my cellphone mount in that corner of the dash anyway.

I actually wired mine to the leads on the back of the lighter socket below the glove box.

1PC TOYOTA HILUX VIGO FORTUNER 2 USB CHARGERS A FUSE BREAKER FOR SAFE | eBay

Edit: Adding some photos of what mine looks like all installed.

Also worth noting -- I'm fairly sure the switch slots are a different size on the first few years of the Gen2 than they are on the more recent ones... If you decide to go this route, make sure you measure the size of the slots in your particular car and buy one that matches.

#7 Kate Harvest, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    69shovlhed, Kevin_Denver and bisco like this.
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that's a pretty slick usb port. I might have to get one of those

9. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pics don't work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Load fine for me on the actual website. They broken for anyone else?

11. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the link works. But the pics after installation are not showing up.

12. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a handy link for you to open the post containing the photos in an actual web browser. I've verified that they show up just fine in my phone's web browser too. Guessing it's a mobile app problem.

USB and battery monitor | PriusChat

13. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I'm seeing:

1477266640660.png

It might be the app but the issue still persists.

14. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw your pics on Media file then searched and found your post...pics came through just fine ...great idea

Kate Harvest likes this.
  15. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i get the usb charger but it does not fit ??

16. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if I didn't say this earlier -- I'm fairly sure there's two different slot sizes depending on what specific year your particular Prius is. I'd highly recommend measuring your slot and then making sure you order from a listing that includes information about the size of the specific charger you're ordering.

17. kilimar

kilimar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kate,

Specifically which one (usb charger socket -- not sure if the link is a similar one or the specific one) did you get? Also, can you take a closer picture without the cable plugged in? :) Thanks.

#17 kilimar, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  18. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one I got has one charge port and one USB data port. I'm using the data port with GROM-USB3 unit to play MP3's off of a thumb drive...

02-12 Toyota Scion Lexus USB Android iPhone car kit, Bluetooth capable

This looks like the port I bought (the actual auction was over a year ago so I can't link to it anymore)...

Car Dashboard 12V 2.1A Dual USB Port Charger Adapter + Audio Input For TOYOTA | eBay

Closer photos with nothing plugged in, as requested -

20161206_132650.jpg

20161206_132712.jpg

But again, I keep saying this - I'm fairly sure the Gen 2 Prius had two different sizes for the plates that go in that area, depending on the year. Measure your plates and buy from a listing that includes the dimensions of the port you're buying so you can verify it will fit in the hole in your particular car.

For my 2007, the hole was roughly 22mm by 33mm. So I bought a port that had the features I needed (a data port and a charge port) and dimensions of 22mm by 33mm, and it worked out for me.

OP mentioned he'd like something that will show him the voltage coming in off the 12v battery, so something like this might work better for him:

Black DC12-24V Digital Voltmeter + 5V 2.1A USB Phone Charger for Toyota New Type | eBay

Browse around! There are a number of different styles available that would fit nicely in a Gen 2 Prius.