1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB drive plays music but display has no info so no way to select songs

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by collaroygal, Mar 16, 2016.

1. collaroygal

collaroygal New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Prius V, 2014, trying to use an 8gb usb drive. The music plays great, but there is no information (artist, album, song,etc) on the display. So no way to select what you want to play. I have been using SirusXM and wanted to expand my listening options, so tried this. If I plug my iphone in to the usb port to charge while traveling it plays music from the phone as well.

Anyone else had this issue? I do like to control my technology and not have it control me :) Does anyone know if I will need to use ID3 tags to get this info to display, the info was pulled from the internet with I ripped the CDs, and it appeared that that info went over to the USB folders ok, and ya, the folders are first level only, no buried ones.

Any help most appreciated.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the files must have tags. The system does read tags OK. Any variation of ID3 should work. If you're using WMA files, don't. Stick with MP3.

3. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2013 v with the ATP (has the optional Harmon headunit and JBL speakers) displays MP3 tagged info in text form, but not filenames or album art.

You didn't ask, but....

The headunit seems to have some limitation for the number of songs in the root folder. It plays fine, but it never selected any songs past some number in the mid 200 range (likely 256). Anyway, I set it up with multiple folders and selected the second random option and that worked.

Also, occasionally had issues with the backup camera display depending on how fast I went into reverse on car start-up. I ended up putting an iPod touch back in so I could get displayed album art and no back up camera issues.

4. collaroygal

collaroygal New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Using mp3tag app I see all the metadata including the id3 v2 info I am going to try coping from that app to the USB drive next. I will report back if that work

Also only 65 songs are currently being tested so that should work.

5. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Old thread I know, I also recently traded a Subaru OB, and the USB I was using worked fine, meaning I had the music sorted in folder mixes. Now the same USB sorts differently (artist, album, etc.).

Is there anyway to keep the several folders I haved saved and play off that instead?

PS
    I have a new 2016 Prius v (2) but can't edit my profile, I would like to add it along with my 2008. Thoughts?