1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB / iPod Adapter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stream, Mar 29, 2009.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The recent review on Gearlog says a USB / iPod adapter will be a dealer installed option, available at a later date--but only for the base sound system. Anybody have other/better information?

Car Review: 2010 Toyota Prius Tops 50 mpg (Easily) - Gearlog

The real head-shaker is the lack of a meaningful iPod connection. Every Prius gets a line-in jack in the console and a second 12-volt adapter (photo). Later (no date set) Toyota will add a dealer-install option that gives you a USB jack for iPods and other music-containing devices; you can control the player from your Prius radio or steering wheel controls. That's for the Prius base audio system. Only. If you have a Prius with the JBL premium audio system or the navigation system, you're S.O.L. The best Toyota can point to is that if you get premium audio plus navigation plus Bluetooth, you can stream Bluetooth audio from some devices with rudimentary dashboard control (start, stop, volume).

2. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm very curious about this as well. I'm not currently a Prius owner, but I'm seriously considering the 2010. In this day and time, the lack of an iPod connector seems like something out of the stone age. I recently installed an aftermarket radio on my current car that allows me to control my iPod Touch from the radio. Going backwards seems... backwards.

I've seen references to a kit by DICE Electronics that provides iPod integration. Anyone know anything about it, particularly if it's likely to work on the new 2010?

Thanks.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Also being discussed in another thread. Moderators may want to merge threads.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tried a search before posting the question, but no luck--do you have a link?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would keep this labeled as a seperate thread and topic, as it will most likely be an issue for a lot of us. Anyway, I have a basic question. I use an iphone 3G, so I assume that I can plug it into the "in line jack" and use the AUX button and control my ipod (in my phone) from my phone? But in order to control the ipod from my stereo, I will need the USB adaptor? Is this correct?

Kind of strange, I was thinking package III, but if the USB adaptor allows me to control my ipod from my stereo and if the USB is only available with package II, I will have to consider package II, which will probably save me some money anyway. Maybe the bluetooth stereo will be available with the JBL upgrade? I can live without Bluetooth for my phone.

Can someone with more knowledge let me know how this all works with the ipod? Also, is there a big difference from the base stereo with four speakers to the ugraded JBL stereo with additional speakers? I will probably go with the base if I can get the USB on the base and control my ipod from the stereo.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes. However, when the new iphone 3.0 operating system comes out, your iphone will be able to do wireless audio stereo streaming to the car stereo, with some limited ability to control the iphone's ipod features from the car's controls. Without the 3.0 op sys, you would need a bluetooth addon dongle. As indicated in the other thread, there may still be another wired option, even if the USB version is not available.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What the Gearlog review doesn't say is exactly what the USB connectivity will entail. Just passing audio? The ability to skip tracks, stop, and start? Text display on the tiny basic audio display? No one knows. Plus, it'll probably be a several hundred dollar option.

On the after-market front, I'm keeping in touch with DICE and VAIS to find out when their solutions might be available. Basically, as soon as you see that their systems are working with the Venza, then they are most likely going to work with the 2010 Prius. I'll be getting some units to test with as soon as I receive my 2010 Prius.

9. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    DICE and VAIS. What do these companies typically provide and at what cost? I know exact information isn't available, but based upon the past, what do you think we can we expect?
    I am amazed that USB ports that function through the stereo aren't basic or cheap add ons. I know the Insight EX has the USB port.
    This will be interesting to get info on.
    Thanks.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The DICE unit is currently available through the PriusChat Shop for $143.95. The VAIS units are more expensive (don't have numbers off the top of my head).

Both prices could change once the 2010 is out, but I doubt it will be much.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I saw something reputable somewhere on this site or from Prius Team or Toyota that said it would include some degree of control. I keep looking for additional info on the 2010 Camry, but it's still not out even though the Detroit announcements indicated it would be available in March.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

its very similar to Vais ipod adapter... its available for all sound packages. If you have nav, you get control from screen, just like on vais.

should be $250 accessory if I remember correctly...

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Prius Team,
    Can you shed any light on this?

14. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We can, and we will. This is one of those final items that just needs some final review, and we'll have some news. In fact, I'm pretty sure you'll hear about it on PriusChat first!

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

5 people like this.
  15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to some good news! ;)

16. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Awesome Doug! You the MAN!

Thanks,
    Dave

17. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any updates on this Doug/PriusTeam?

Thanks,
    Dave

18. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And Doug / Prius Team, while you are at it, is there any way to confirm if the XM Satellite tuner will also get Sirius Channels (as the two entities merged last year).

Or in order to get the full range of Satellite broadcasts, will we need to locate a tuner for a now defunct service? (As they have merged into one entity, hey are getting harder locate their individual tuners, now that they come together in one unit by all other makers).

19. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Still working on it. Patience, young grasshopper.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

2 people like this.
  20. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sure you're just waiting to confirm we are getting the same HDD based Navigation, stereo, and USB interface as Europe and Japan! :rolleyes: