1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

USB loses playback mode when car turned off

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by epithumia, Feb 16, 2012.

1. epithumia

epithumia Average Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I'm rocking to music on a USB stick on my 2012 Prius v five w/the ATP. I can browse artists and albums with no problem. Turning the car off and back on causes the stereo to pick up where it left off, but in file mode. This causes it to start playing tracks in random order (as it doesn't seem to sort them or anything) so I have to go back to the selection screen, pick an artist, then an album and then the track again to get things to start playing in order.

If I just turn the audio off it doesn't lose track (which makes sense because it's not really losing power.)

It can obviously save state, because it remembers the file and position within it across restarts. Just seems an oversight to not save the playback mode, so much so that I have to wonder if I'm missing something. Is there a setting I'm overlooking?

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never seen the system allow me to be specific beyond if it was within a particular folder. I generally have mine randomize and my only quirk was that I didn't know how to do Rdm.Fldr when I had things organized on the USB stick that I ended up jamming them all in one folder. I do know that that I wouldn't be able to use an m3u (Playlist) designation.

3. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think any of the playback modes are saved for anything, i.e. iPod, so it's probably by design.

4. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you restart the car, the USB key has to be rescanned/reindexed. According to the manual, it should restart on the same folder/track as when you shut it off. This has been my experience. If you're on the last track in a folder, sometimes you'll jump to a random location on the key. If you happen to be listening to long songs/podcasts, you probably won't notice.

However, that re-scanning takes awhile if you have lots of songs. I have a key with 70GB of music that takes almost 5 minutes to re-index.

My (imperfect) solution has been to keep a CD in the player, and I listen to a tune or two while the USB drive is indexing.

5. epithumia

epithumia Average Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I found a solution that works well enough for me. Make sure the filenames are prefixed with track numbers and use a FAT sorting utility to sort the files on the device. Then just ignore the artist/album modes and go by folder. I don't really intend to have hundreds of albums in the car at once so this is quite sufficient. You could even simulate playlists that way.

As a Linux (Fedora) user I just did "yum install fatsort" to get the tiny utility. I might hack it to allow me to completely specify the sort order instead of sorting alphabetically, but for now I'm completely happy. I just have to re-encode my music to a higher MP3 bitrate (from the master FLAC copies I keep) because 128Kbps just sounds terrible.